Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet more Autosteer questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some rather mundane questions about Autosteer. I've read forum threads, watched youtube, RTFM - and maybe I'm simply missing what I need to know.

Background is that I have been nervous about using AS after my many "uncomfortable" incidents with TACC. The phantom and crazy braking took me utterly by surprise (my 2013 MS had none of these features) and forced me on a learning curve that I think was unacceptable. Tesla - or someone - should really warn drivers about this as I seriously doubt most Tesla owners even know about this forum; and why should they have to find out about these dangerous experiences online?

After 6+ weeks of owning my MY I finally tried Autosteer on a freeway in northern Vermont, early weekend morning, with essentially zero other cars on the road. I was impressed. Until I drove through a construction zone and the car started steering me somewhere between my lane and an off-ramp effectively trying to drive me into a ditch. My immediate reaction was to steer the car to the left; I was surprised at how much pressure I had to use to move the steering wheel. It disengaged and I found myself swerving until I was able to drive straight. Lesson: don't use autosteer in construction zones.

What I want to know is what happens when a car is merging into my lane from and on-ramp? Can I keep AS on and will it adjust? I don't want to try this as a live experiment. How well does it handle high density traffic with people cutting in front of me, driving too close along one side or the other? What other surprises might I find that I don't know to ask?

I have already learned that AS does not drive like I do and appreciate the posts stating this. I tend to stay farther away from the center line giving semis, RVs and trucks pulling wide trailers more passing room. I'm guessing there is no way to bias AS left or right. ?

Also, just curious about pressing the drive stalk down and the "notch" feel at about half way. The behavior seems the same whether I press the stalk half way down (twice for AS) or fully down twice. What's the purpose of that half-way notch (for lack of a better word)?