Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 model x rear subframe issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I recently noticed that my cars alignment was a little off as it started drifting in one direction. Looking underneath I saw my inner side of rear tires were wearing off. I took it to Tesla to find out that the subframe itself has issues which needs replacement. They recommended that both(front and rear) subframe needs to be replaced. They gave me an estimate of $7.5k

I am now looking for third party repair service but someone who has the expertise specifically on Teslas. I have few questions

1. Does anyone know how much should the cost be for replacing it?
2. Does the battery needs to come off to replace the subframe?
3. Any recommendations on the service shops in Northern California?

Help is much appreciated.

First, what issues n what year? that is vague... if nothing is broken/cracked, i don't see a reason...
Rear tires wear out on all MXs... (no camber adjustment, need to have perfect toe)

Both subframes are a lot of work. Rear one is probably more since u have to disconnect HV n swap the motor over.
Front sub officially needs battery pull but unoffcially u can swap w/o removing battery (i've done it)
I got mine on eBay for $600 n spent multiple hrs swapping (didn't count since i was doing other things in parallel)
Its pretty straight forward job but tedious for sure.

Thanks for the response.
It is 2016 Model X. The issue faced is that the car's alignment is off and the rear tires, both the inner side is wearing off. I recently got the new tires installed and after 1k miles it looks pretty bad. I think with this rate it will last 1k more miles.

yes, if in 1k miles u see huge wear on one side, something is off...
have alignment shop try to align n they will tell u if its possible or out of range somewhere.
post results here.
don't just throw parts at it w/o knowing whats wrong... unless u can see something bent or cracked.
Stock arms should be fine if everything is aligned (esp toe).

So I took it to a shop they said the rear alignment is way off. Its -3.5degrees. The Tesla OEM tow links won't work. They recommended N2itive link and camber which will help in bringing this down and correcting the wheel alignment completely. They do seem confident.
Tesla service center were adamant on changing the subframes (obviously they won't install outside products.)
Do you think if this will actually resolve the issue?

So I took it to a shop they said the rear alignment is way off. Its -3.5degrees. The Tesla OEM tow links won't work. They recommended N2itive link and camber which will help in bringing this down and correcting the wheel alignment completely. They do seem confident.
Tesla service center were adamant on changing the subframes (obviously they won't install outside products.)
Do you think if this will actually resolve the issue?
You've posted no photos. No real info, as -3.5 sounds like camber reading.
No one said use the OEM TOE links. Only that you'll need a new set of OEM BOLTS for the toe arms at the subframe. You may want to research this a bit as it's been discussed quite a bit.

But, yes. The rear of an S&X have fixed toe, converting a fixed link to an adjustable link would allow adjustment. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Here is the photo of the current alignment reading.

tempImagelbLSco.jpg

But, yes. The rear of an S&X have fixed toe, converting a fixed link to an adjustable link would allow adjustment. 🤷🏿‍♂️
Typo?
Toe is def adjustable. Camber is NOT, unless u put after market links.

Check your upper arms in rear. If anyone ever hit a curb, it might be bent
1677364334455.png

Also, was ur ride height in Normal during that alignment?

Last edited:
Reactions: buckets0fun
First, what issues n what year? that is vague... if nothing is broken/cracked, i don't see a reason...
Rear tires wear out on all MXs... (no camber adjustment, need to have perfect toe)

Both subframes are a lot of work. Rear one is probably more since u have to disconnect HV n swap the motor over.
Front sub officially needs battery pull but unoffcially u can swap w/o removing battery (i've done it)
I got mine on eBay for $600 n spent multiple hrs swapping (didn't count since i was doing other things in parallel)
Its pretty straight forward job but tedious for sure.
Hey I am looking to change mines out soon, and wondering if you can offer any guidance?

cool, yeah i swapped mine but when my bumper cover n radiators were out so much easier
u can swap it without removing HV battery
its pretty straight forward, 6 bolts that hold it to the frame, steering shaft bolt, 2 screws for chiller, 2 ankle bracket in the front thats in a way
all the under shields/plates need to come out first.
suspension can just hang there, after disconnecting it from subframe. steering rack comes out with it.
let me know if u need anything else.
service manuals are free, look it up.

cool, yeah i swapped mine but when my bumper cover n radiators were out so much easier
u can swap it without removing HV battery
its pretty straight forward, 6 bolts that hold it to the frame, steering shaft bolt, 2 screws for chiller, 2 ankle bracket in the front thats in a way
all the under shields/plates need to come out first.
suspension can just hang there, after disconnecting it from subframe. steering rack comes out with it.
let me know if u need anything else.
service manuals are free, look it up.
Did you have to remove the steering rack?