Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2016 MX 90D AP1 - Upgrade to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see anyone paying extra for an AP1 vehicle that has the MCU2 upgrade, so it would be a solid "no" for me. If you and your family actually use some of the features like Caraoke and the browser, then consider its overall value to you.

Just had my MCU1 replaced under warranty. I wanted to have the MCU2 installed and thought it would be worth the cost. But a month ago it was not available to my MX 2016 AP1.

This is what I understood would be different.

1st I would loose the FM radio. AM never came with the car. So a subscription radio would need to be used and or Bluetooth from your phone.
2nd screen refresh rates would be much faster. Proraming a trip would refresh screens quickly.
3rd you would get more toys option like YouTube, better games
4th if you had slower connection to car you would now have LTE

Thats all I remember for now. So for me the faster screens and youtube was worth loosing FM. I saw it more like upgrading an older laptop for a newer faster one and I have done that before so why would I not for the one in my car. That said I have not heard that the upgrade was now available to me. So this is good news and I'll have to look into it.

Just this week we are seeing the first AP1 cars being offered the MCU2 upgrade. Its worth the difference.

I even have a Tesla service quote from a friend that shows his SC has offered and ordered his MCU2 Upgrade for his 2013 pre-AP. That is a big seal for that year car too.

Reactions: wreighven
Thanks for all of the info. I decided to just do the warranty replacement of MCU1. Maybe it will be a little better since the unit will be (hopefully) wiped clean and have a small cache. I’ll report back if the replacement MCU1 unit appears to be slightly better. I’ll save my cash for another day if I decide to keep this MX for another year and then maybe do the upgrade to MCU2.

Oops, That is a big deal for that year car too, not That is a big seal for that year car too. Sorry.

The re-manufactured MCU is not bigger. Its the same size form factor. The eMMC could be more capacity, but you won't know if it is.

The car will perform better, but its not a better performing MCU. Ever owned a computer that seemed fast when you first got it, then it seems to get sluggish? In the last couple of months, does you car behave like it did when it was new? No. The refreshed chip is going to make it behave/perform like it did when it was new. Its going to seem faster, its just clean and no residue files in there to cause it to bog down.

Last edited:
I hear ya. Yes, it’s seems like it would be taking an old computer and reformatting it and starting over. Theoretically it may feel like new but it won’t be new and that is ok by me. I’m planning to always have Tesla cars so this X will be replaced in the years to come anyway. I’ll save the $2,500.

I have a 2014 S. The MCU was replaced under warranty four months ago, the upgrade was not an option. I really tried. I did get the LTE upgrade. In my car, the browser might as well not be there, even with wifi. Service center says that's the way it is. I very rarely have more than one bar on the LTE screen, even when phones in the car have maximum.

When they were replacing the MCU I had a loaner car that had MCU 2. It was somewhat akin to leaving a dial up connection and being on cable, it was fantastic. I literally cannot get a web page to open within 20 minutes in my car, (post MCU change, or pre), in the loaner it was seconds, anywhere.

Has anyone done this to an older car and seen a change like that? It would be worth it to me if it performed like it did in the newer car.

Yep. xactly. They are starting to do '15's and older. So far, every report that I have seen is about a MCU1 failing when they offer MCU2. And because there's a shortage of re-manufactured MCU1 and Touchscreens right now, that might be why we are only hearing about older cars with failed MCUs. Just a guess. But even so, there's more MCU2 coming out. If your SC turns you down now, I'd try again next month. Eventually, there will be sufficient and they will be able to. Every time MCU2 has been offered, its not done yet. Its three-four weeks before MCU2 will be available. So, I can't tell you what someone has reported. I have the Invoice estimate for one person with a '15. He's about 8 days out before his parts should be at this SC. So before long, we should be hearing what older car people have to say about MCU2. Hang in there.

Hi All,

I signed up yesterday to have the upgrade done to my wife's 2015 Model S 85D AP1.
The car has been PERFECT for 5 years.
Our only service was one of the 2 year services while they were on a schedule.
The tires were replaced, the car currently has 45,700 miles on it...
It has the original 12 volt battery - We will be replacing that too...

The software updates are slow and the reboots are long.
The failure is coming and it just makes sense to do it now...

No word back from the service center on the parts order.
I placed the service request late Friday and I'm sure they
have not had a chance to look at it yet...

Excited,

Shawn

Reactions: Akikiki
My car went in for something else, the MCU was a total surprise. It was out of the car when they told me. I seriously would have hung on for a while, even then the MCU was on backorder. I actually thought they might put a 2 in then, but the SC told me tit wasn't an option. I figured it would be after some time.

20 minutes to open a web page, MCU 1, LTE, actually on WiFi, is that normal?