Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will they ever make an upgrade for MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 17 mx with mcu1 and debating upgrading. I havn’t seen a recent discussion on this topic, although there are a lot of older ones.

I know tesla changed parts so mcu2 cant be upgraded to current mcu3. I’m wondering if they will ever come out with some form of upgrade option for mcu2 - i already know if i upgrade from my mcu1 then they will come out with an option and i’ll kick myself for not waiting.

Also, have seen some videos about the improvements, but so confused on what software upgrades you can get nowadays with mcu2 that you cant with mcu1, assuming fsd computer with hw3.

After thinking about this, maybe tesla will provide an update in 2026, five years after mcu2 was released, would be same time table as mcu1 upgrade in 2021 for model x. who knows though, kinda think they’ll never offer an upgrade based on tech the company has went away from

Reactions: EbS-P
i upgraded my 2017 (late-late 2016) S from MCU1/AP 2.0 to MCU 2 and AP3.0 a few years ago - I can get netflix and after a recent camera upgrade (FSD buyer from 2017) - I have FSD 11.4.9 working very nicely. Hoping I get FSD 12.3.3. But I don't think they'll probably do any further upgrades on these older cars.

I doubt there will be an upgrade made if it doesn't already exist. The hardware change from mcu2->mcu3 is probably drastic enough that it wouldn't be cost effective to upgrade. Additionally there probably aren't enough cars and owners out there that would pay thousands for an upgrade. Elon would rather push you to buy a new Tesla. Same situation as hw3->4 I suppose.