Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100DL or new model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not touch a used Tesla unless you want to drive locally. See my thread about “old” Tesla models and being told it’s my fault for installing updates and getting the recall done (after the eMMC recall my car randomly takes 10+ minutes before I can go into drive - was told it’s just an inconvenience and my fault for deciding to do the recall and firmware updates). Only a matter of time this trickles down to “newer” cars. Anything except the latest hardware is considered obsolete by Tesla. Putting even that aside, my 2015 p85dl is useless for long trips (every 90 minutes of driving requires an hour of supercharging -at best I get 40-45kwh charging and never get more than 60% rated range regardless of weather) complained about that over 4 years and was been told even then (3 years old) it’s because it’s old. Tesla is about volume and I’ve concluded they don’t care about the customer experience.
This surprises me and makes me think you have an issue going on with that specific car. I bought my 2015 Model S 85 with 68k miles about 7 weeks ago and have put over 6k miles on it since then (mainly due to 2 very long road trips). I peak out at 129 KW at the supercharger right at the beginning and tapers from there. I also can get from 7% to 80% in an hour of supercharging and that gives me about 200 miles of usable range before next stop (7% threshold set in ABRP). This has been consistant in my last 2 road trips (one from Kansas to SC coast and the other from Kansas to Alabama). Also I have the latest s/w available installed. I haven't done the MCU2 upgrade yet but my MCU1 is now getting to where it takes a minute or two of blank before it boots on initial entry that I have to wait for.

Also considering a 2018 P100D we found. Not sure if any advantage buying over buying a 2016. Both cars have about 35-40K on the dial.
A few possible differences ... you'll need to decide if advantages or disadvantages.

Depending upon when built in 2018 it will have between 1.5-2.5 years longer before the 8-year warranty for battery and drive motors expires.

Also likely already has MCU2, but this depends when built in 2018.

2018 will be the new 8-camera based autopilot system, AP2/2.5/3. That means it would be capable to be upgraded to FSD capability if not already. This means it will have sentry and dashcam using the built in cameras (provided also MCU2). My recollection is the 2016 you were looking at was still a 2016, so AP1 with no dashcam. Some will argue FSD capability is huge advantage, others might say for highway driving, AP1 is just as good (some would say better, as seems less prone to phantom braking).

Other difference is the seats in the 2018. 2016 is probably Gen2 where the 2018 will be newer/different. Which is better is a matter of personal preference. This is one of these where you need to sit, ideally drive, both to decide which is better.

Those are a few of the key ones that I can quickly think you might want to think through.

Reactions: Yurand
This surprises me and makes me think you have an issue going on with that specific car. I bought my 2015 Model S 85 with 68k miles about 7 weeks ago and have put over 6k miles on it since then (mainly due to 2 very long road trips). I peak out at 129 KW at the supercharger right at the beginning and tapers from there. I also can get from 7% to 80% in an hour of supercharging and that gives me about 200 miles of usable range before next stop (7% threshold set in ABRP). This has been consistant in my last 2 road trips (one from Kansas to SC coast and the other from Kansas to Alabama). Also I have the latest s/w available installed. I haven't done the MCU2 upgrade yet but my MCU1 is now getting to where it takes a minute or two of blank before it boots on initial entry that I have to wait for.
My car has been tested by Tesla for the past 4 years for this. Every time they tell me it’s normal and now they just say it’s because the car is old.
Tesla needs to introduce a disclaimer that the lifecycle of their cars is only a few years and after that it is at your own risk.

No matter how much I like driving my Tesla the company has lost all my trust.

Reactions: Cheburashka