Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P90d or New Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to Telsa. today to see my preowned MX90d. The exterior was in pristine condition, but the interior seems to be used a bit and in need of reconditioning. While at the SC, I Test drove the new MY Performance and really liked it. My question is, would it be better to purchase a new Tesla MY Perf or stay with the P90d? I'm torn now. I like the style and space of the MX, but I would have to recondition the interior seats.. I'm also told a lot of the new software upgrades will not be available for the 2016 MX I am planning on purchasing.

Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations??

Wait till you see the repair costs on the X. I've seen people complain about all sorts of issues, and others who said they haven't had any. So it's a mixed bag, but the X isn't a cheap vehicle to have repairs done if they are needed.

Reactions: kril74
Buying new gets new. New Y is new.

Only you know what’s available in your wallet.

"Least Useful Response Award" nominee.

IMy question is, would it be better to purchase a new Tesla MY Perf or stay with the P90d? I'm torn now. I like the style and space of the MX, but I would have to recondition the interior seats.. I'm also told a lot of the new software upgrades will not be available for the 2016 MX I am planning on purchasing.

Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations??

I feel your pain. I will be in a similar position soon. I'll have to decide between a used X, new Y, or the CT (if available when we get back to the states).

The X does have that "wow" factor that a lot of people like, whereas the Y, while still beautiful, is less showy.

You didn't mention what AP suite is on the X you're looking at, but I'm assuming a 2016 probably has AP 2.0 or lower. This would limit some features (no sentry mode) and possible FSD features.

The other big consideration is the battery tech and range. That P90X is probably rated at 250 miles. That would be the assumption with a 100% healthy battery, which I wouldn't assume on a 4 year old car. Y will get you 315-316 new, as long as you don't add the PUP. Plus the newer battery tech on the Y will charge much faster than the X (which may also be throttled due to age/degradation).

X will come with free supercharging. The Y will not. Might be a factor if you are going to do a LOT of traveling.

X has been in production for years now, whereas the Y is brand new and they are still working out the kinks (Sandy Munro recently showed how Tesla used a 3D printed part on the Y he's tearing down, because they fixed a flaw and didn't want to delay production).

Just a few things to consider.

"Least Useful Response Award" nominee.

I feel your pain. I will be in a similar position soon. I'll have to decide between a used X, new Y, or the CT (if available when we get back to the states).

The X does have that "wow" factor that a lot of people like, whereas the Y, while still beautiful, is less showy.

You didn't mention what AP suite is on the X you're looking at, but I'm assuming a 2016 probably has AP 2.0 or lower. This would limit some features (no sentry mode) and possible FSD features.

The other big consideration is the battery tech and range. That P90X is probably rated at 250 miles. That would be the assumption with a 100% healthy battery, which I wouldn't assume on a 4 year old car. Y will get you 315-316 new, as long as you don't add the PUP. Plus the newer battery tech on the Y will charge much faster than the X (which may also be throttled due to age/degradation).

X will come with free supercharging. The Y will not. Might be a factor if you are going to do a LOT of traveling.

X has been in production for years now, whereas the Y is brand new and they are still working out the kinks (Sandy Munro recently showed how Tesla used a 3D printed part on the Y he's tearing down, because they fixed a flaw and didn't want to delay production).

Just a few things to consider.
Good points all the way around.. I've been debating all those same areas.