Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I sell 2016 MX with FSD BETA prior to transferring my FSD to new MXLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a 2023 MXLR on September 30 and plan to transfer my FSD from my 2016 MX to my new vehicle.

I would like to sell my 2016 MX PRIVATELY, prior to taking delivery on my Custom Build 2023. However, since FSD stays with the original vehicle, can Tesla remove the FSD from my 2016 and then reinstall on my 2023, after delivery?

Has anyone in the Forum had this same situation? Has anyone tried doing this and told it was not possible?

I would appreciate any advise.

Thank you.

I ordered a 2023 MXLR on September 30 and plan to transfer my FSD from my 2016 MX to my new vehicle.

I would like to sell my 2016 MX PRIVATELY, prior to taking delivery on my Custom Build 2023. However, since FSD stays with the original vehicle, can Tesla remove the FSD from my 2016 and then reinstall on my 2023, after delivery?

Has anyone in the Forum had this same situation? Has anyone tried doing this and told it was not possible?

Thank you.
Essentially, this is what Omar (Whole Mars Catalog) did. He transferred his FSD to a new Model S before selling his 3 on Cars and Bids. But as was stated, it appears that you have to have transferred and taken delivery before the end of Q3.

Thank you.

This sounds like "I want to sell my car to someone, telling them it has FSD, then after they buy it from me, transfer the FSD to a new car I am buying, taking it away from the other car after I have sold it to someone".

Is that what you are asking (cause thats basically asking if you can steal it from someone you sold it to)? I must have misread what you were asking though....

In any case, the promo ended, but even if they bring it back, one of the stipulations was that you had to own both cars yourself at the time of the transfer, so the answer is "no, not if you actually sell the car properly, and the new owner is also the registered owner".

Reactions: pilotSteve
This sounds like "I want to sell my car to someone, telling them it has FSD, then after they buy it from me, transfer the FSD to a new car I am buying, taking it away from the other car after I have sold it to someone".

Is that what you are asking (cause thats basically asking if you can steal it from someone you sold it to)? I must have misread what you were asking though....

In any case, the promo ended, but even if they bring it back, one of the stipulations was that you had to own both cars yourself at the time of the transfer, so the answer is "no, not if you actually sell the car properly, and the new owner is also the registered owner".
@jjrandorin Thanks for your response

NO, I am NOT a "bait & switch" kind of guy. I would absolutely be transparent with buyer and advise the FSD would not be included.

@jjrandorin Thanks for your response

NO, I am NOT a "bait & switch" kind of guy. I would absolutely be transparent with buyer and advise the FSD would not be included.
👍

Well, the offer is over, but you had to initiate the removal of FSD while the car you were selling was in your possession, and supposedly it (FSD) was removed, before it was added to the new car) to prevent "issues". Since you would need to remove FSD from the current vehicle, whomever was buying it would not see it on there so there shouldnt be any issues.

I didnt go through this myself, but read from some people that there was a sort of limbo time frame when the old car didnt have FSD and the purchase of the new one wasnt completed yet either, and FSD showed up on the new car when the purchase was completed.

Tesla being Tesla however, I personally would not have trusted Tesla to get that correct 100% of the time.

If Tesla re instates this type of transfer, you would be telling the private party purchaser ("I am transferring FSD off this vehicle so it will have Autopilot as standard") and just move on with the sale that way.

Last edited:
Essentially, this is what Omar (Whole Mars Catalog) did. He transferred his FSD to a new Model S before selling his 3 on Cars and Bids. But as was stated, it appears that you have to have transferred and taken delivery before the end of Q3.
@El joe
Thanks for your response. Actually the TRANSFER was extended and jn the Tesla App on September 30, it allowed me to transfer my FSD from 2016 to 2023 Custom order, at time of delivery.

I don't want to complicate the transaction or the FSD transfer. I will trade-in my 2016 MX and have FSD transferred after delivery of MXLR. OR I could keep 2016 MX, take delivery of MXLR and after FSD transferred , then sell 2016 MX privately.

Not sure yet, which direction to take, at this time.

Reactions: El joe
The conditions say that both vehicles need to be in the same Tesla account that belongs to you when you take delivery. (And that you have to be the registered owner of both.)

So no, you can't sell the donor vehicle first.

And as others have said you had to have placed the order prior to 9/30, and met the other conditions, since they are no longer offering the FSD transfer to new orders.

The conditions say that both vehicles need to be in the same Tesla account that belongs to you when you take delivery. (And that you have to be the registered owner of both.)

So no, you can't sell the donor vehicle first.

And as others have said you had to have placed the order prior to 9/30, and met the other conditions, since they are no longer offering the FSD transfer to new orders.
@MP3Mike
Thanks for your response

Yes I placed order on Sept 30, and qualified on my Tesla App to TRANSFER on the trade-in section of my App. My Tesla SA was walking me through each step of the Registration and he confirmed that the transfer was authorized. Now I just have to wait and see if I get delivery in 2023 or 2024.

I placed order on Sept 30, and qualified on my Tesla App to TRANSFER on the trade-in section of my App. My Tesla SA was walking me through each step of the Registration and he confirmed that the transfer was authorized. Now I just have to wait and see if I get delivery in 2023 or 2024.
Tesla.com shows that the program ended and that you had to take delivery by September 30. As sad as it is SA’s aren’t always as knowledgeable as they should be. Do you have anything in writing saying that they are making an exception for you?
IMG_4996.jpeg

There were a number of media reports that Tesla allowed deliveries to take place after 9/30 od the order was put in. OP will be ok as long as he keeps ur FSD car for now
I can see that Tesla might have allowed the transfer at the beginning of October if something kept the delivery from happening September 30. But I will be very surprised if they allow a transfer months later. Unless they officially extend it, which they have not done at this time.

• Helpful
Tesla.com shows that the program ended and that you had to take delivery by September 30. As sad as it is SA’s aren’t always as knowledgeable as they should be. Do you have anything in writing saying that they are making an exception for you?
View attachment 980401
@Bigriver
I asked the same thing to my SA and the Showroom Sales Manager. They sent an email to their regional sales office to confirm that my Transfer qualifies whenever delivery to me transpires. I then got an email from Sales Manager and SA saying that the Regional Office said my FSD qualifies to transfer over to my new MXLR.

I try to never take anything for granted until it happens, but I'm hopeful that it should work out the way Tesla has promised me.

Hold onto that email! I truly hope this happens for you. Please report back when you take delivery of the new car and whether Tesla kept their word.
@Bigriver ...Yes I will be happy to report back. However not sure if my delivery will be December 2023 or into 2024.

P.S. I was born & raised in the 'Burg and lived there till 1998. I've been back for many high school reunions and as recently as 2017 for my 50th. I still have fond memories of living there.

Reactions: Bigriver
@Barnaby from a different thread posted a little while ago that he took delivery today and his FSD transferred to his new MX in only a few hours.

..."Took delivery today, FSD transfer is complete! I love it when a plan comes together"

To me, that's a good indication that FSD TRANSFERS did not have to take place on deliveries by September 30th.

Hoping I have that same good experience when my MXLR is delivered 2023/2024.

Reactions: Barnaby
@Bigriver ...Yes I will be happy to report back. However not sure if my delivery will be December 2023 or into 2024.

P.S. I was born & raised in the 'Burg and lived there till 1998. I've been back for many high school reunions and as recently as 2017 for my 50th. I still have fond memories of living there.
@Bigriver
I took delivery on my 2023 MXLR yesterday.
I'm thrilled to report that the FSD TRANSFER went through within a few hours after delivery. I received an email from Tesla confirming the FSD TRANSFER from my 2016 to my 2023 was successful. YES, Tesla absolutely kept their word.