Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 vs 2020 - help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at used inventory and the post 10/16 models that have AP2+ are in the 65k range. This past weekend I test drove a new 2020 X at the showroom and it was AWESOME. The interior was plush and soft. I believe my wife called it : "like butter". Coming from a Grand Cherokee I appreciate the in-dash instrument panel and screen as opposed to the tacked-on tablet of the 3 and Y.

My question for this group would be : What differences would I expect on the interior of a 3 yr old X vs a new X? Have there been that many technological advances that it makes more sense to go with a NEW Model-Y instead? I know the Y will have a much better range, but it just feels bare-bones to me.

Thanks, you guys are awesome.

I also test drove a 2020 model x. If range is important and mcu2 is important than I could justify getting the 2020. But you will be paying for the depreciation first 3 years. I figure 90D would give around 220-250 miles. I asked myself do I really need that much more range when I will be coming home and charging overnight everyday?

I have a 2016 P90D and my real life range is around 180 miles, and down to 150 in the winter / cold. Like you, the range covers 90% of my driving range but for that 10%, it’s really frustrating - enough that I am considering selling and leasing a new one instead.

Frankly, my experience with Tesla (given how fast tech is changing) is that leading makes more sense. A Tesla is more akin to a cell phone than a car - it’s already a depreciating asset but with how things are improving, even more so.

I also test drove a 2020 model x. If range is important and mcu2 is important than I could justify getting the 2020. But you will be paying for the depreciation first 3 years. I figure 90D would give around 220-250 miles. I asked myself do I really need that much more range when I will be coming home and charging overnight everyday?

And that is the question. What will your use be? Just got a new 2020 X and having the "326" mile range is pushing it for me - on the low side. Reality is when it gets cold and/or you drive on the freeway over 65 mph it really starts cutting into your actual "range". Plus they really don't want you going below 20% so now you start at @300 mile range - 60 miles = 240 - 25% = 180 miles actual range. Round trip to a big city 90 miles away is going to push it. Also the rate of charging starts to matter on superchargers. I have seen 143 kw - briefly and that was good, but it only stays there a short time. For me, I think the sweet spot will be a range over 400 miles and a charge rate over 200kw - at least up to 60 % and then a more gradual decline.

And that is the question. What will your use be? Just got a new 2020 X and having the "326" mile range is pushing it for me - on the low side. Reality is when it gets cold and/or you drive on the freeway over 65 mph it really starts cutting into your actual "range". Plus they really don't want you going below 20% so now you start at @300 mile range - 60 miles = 240 - 25% = 180 miles actual range. Round trip to a big city 90 miles away is going to push it. Also the rate of charging starts to matter on superchargers. I have seen 143 kw - briefly and that was good, but it only stays there a short time. For me, I think the sweet spot will be a range over 400 miles and a charge rate over 200kw - at least up to 60 % and then a more gradual decline.

100% echo this post!

I had a 2016 Model X, and now have a 2019 X that I got last August. I am selling it (if you're interested), and switching to a Model Y for a number of reasons. The new Model X has evolved tremendously since 2016, and I would strongly encourage you to get the newer one if at all possible if you're set on getting an X. The newer ones feel like 10 years of advancement in "normal" auto company years.

Backs of the seats are not shiny (super easy to scratch) plastic anymore, Falcon doors now have sensors on the inside so they don't close on you if you're standing under it, there's new contraption in the front doors to help break them free if they get frozen, which is relatively common in the winter. Redesigned interior falcon door buttons that are easier to use, or at least more obvious for people who are not familiar with the X. The newer one is also much quieter.

All new adaptive suspension, two generations newer autopilot hardware with numerous additional capabilities that you won't get on a first generation one that improve safety and convenience, etc.

So, as I said initially, frankly, I think there's very few reasons to get an X rather than a Y. I bought mine in August because I had to have a hatchback/SUV and the Y looked like it was at least 18 months away.

I had a 2016 Model X, and now have a 2019 X that I got last August. I am selling it (if you're interested), and switching to a Model Y for a number of reasons. The new Model X has evolved tremendously since 2016, and I would strongly encourage you to get the newer one if at all possible if you're set on getting an X. The newer ones feel like 10 years of advancement in "normal" auto company years.

Backs of the seats are not shiny (super easy to scratch) plastic anymore, Falcon doors now have sensors on the inside so they don't close on you if you're standing under it, there's new contraption in the front doors to help break them free if they get frozen, which is relatively common in the winter. Redesigned interior falcon door buttons that are easier to use, or at least more obvious for people who are not familiar with the X. The newer one is also much quieter.

All new adaptive suspension, two generations newer autopilot hardware with numerous additional capabilities that you won't get on a first generation one that improve safety and convenience, etc.

So, as I said initially, frankly, I think there's very few reasons to get an X rather than a Y. I bought mine in August because I had to have a hatchback/SUV and the Y looked like it was at least 18 months away.

Understandable, that is part of my issue. New Y or old X. I can't really go any newer on an X financially.

I have a 2016 p90d and am contemplating getting a new one, I’ll add in my 2 cents. I live in a state with average supercharger is 150-180 miles apart. The range is adequate for 100% of around town driving but if you like taking road trips (which I do) it is a little painful when you add winter and mountain driving into the mix. Typically I will charge to 100% to get to a supercharger and receive a notification that my arrival estimate is 3% battery. Tight. I found myself buying 20 inch rims instead of the 22 inch car came with.

Something to also take into account with road trips is supercharger speed. In my experience supercharger speed from 1-20% or 80-100% is the most inefficienct charge speed. Charging from 20-80% is relatively quick, for me at a supercharger it is akin to going to bathroom, getting quick coffee, changing my kids diaper. Charging from 5% to 98% in order to make the next charging stop however typically requires near an hour sometimes and has to be a full stop. The new car range for me (230 miles vs 350
Miles at 100%) would keep be in the 20-80% charge range which I think will really minimize the time delay that charging takes.

The difference on a road trip is substantial. Interesting to play around with abetterrouteplanner.com to get specific differences. For example if you want to drive from Salt Lake City to Denver, a P90D Model X will take you 10 hours, and you'll spend at least 2 hours charging. However, in a 2019 Raven Model X Long Range you can make the trip in just 8:31! Go to a Model 3 or Model Y that are more efficient and so get similar range with a smaller battery and you only need 8 hours to make the same trip with less charging time.

All of them are amazing, and I've done long road trips in all three vehicles myself, and love traveling by Tesla, but it's always nicer to stop because you want to, not because you have to.

OK, so I just posted on this in another thread but thought it was relevant here to :

Just went for a test drive in one of the 2020's - build date was Jan 2020 - they only had a 22' performance, but damnit, the shocks and ride is miles improved. Like a totally different car. Actually felt premium
Though interestingly, my older car was quieter - hit an average of 61 Db, with a peak of 63; while the new one hit an average of 66 Db, with a peak of 69 Db. Some of it was probably the bigger tires, but still ...