Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model 3 Premium Connectivity Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a 2017 model 3 and it has enhanced autopilot and premium connectivity included in package.
The enhanced autopilot works but I can never get data to work other than it being near wifi or a hotspot.
I tried looking to see if I had to get some type of subscription but doesn’t look like.

I have seen other cars where it has the connectivity info but then a date when the subscription ends.

So should my car have internet or not? It’s a 2017 so not sure fits grandfathered into a free internet thing.

Attachments

• 8716B015-3C95-47ED-8634-322BFAC0DE2F.jpeg
    8716B015-3C95-47ED-8634-322BFAC0DE2F.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 153
It should be grandfathered in I think but that would depend on where you bought it from / if tesla owned it in between there, somewhere. I am thinking tesla never owned it, because it still has enhanced autopilot.

You need to contact tesla.

I bought it from a private party.
I can only view maps or live traffic or anything that requires data when the car is connected to my home wifi or when it is tethered to my phones hot spot.

Assuming other features work without WiFi, you’ll probably need to schedule a service appointment. They might be able to fix the issue remotely. Before you do that, reboot the car if you haven’t already.
What features would I look for?
When it’s not on wifi nothing seems to work. The maps or traffic don’t work. I have reset the car many times.

Does anyone know if the wifi and wireless internet (not sure what it’s called) are the same or are there two antenas? I believe they are located in the passenger rear view mirror.

If you’re not getting maps when you’re not connected to WiFi, you’re not getting cellular coverage. Are you in a bad coverage area? If not, the cellular receiver might need service.
I don’t think coverage is an issue since I get cell service on different phones. I’ve driven the car and same issue.

I have a service appointment with tesla weeks out. Couldn’t get anything sooner. I did call tesla and they said they couldn’t do anything over the air and suggested it might be an antena issue.

I did find the location of the antenna for celular so I may disassemble to see if there is anything wrong.

Attachments

• A4817067-A3F4-4186-AD42-F08573221752.jpeg
    A4817067-A3F4-4186-AD42-F08573221752.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 60