Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 75 Shutdown on highway while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nbery

May 16, 2019
CA
While driving on the highway my car made a loud sound then shutdown in the middle of the highway I receive a message "Unable to drive, pull over to safety". The car would not go into drive. I had to call 911 since I was blocking traffic. The highway patrol officer had to stop all traffic so we could try to get the car off the highway. As we were about to attempt to push the car it went into gear and started working again. Fortunately it was rush hour so I was only going about 20 mph. If this happened during non rush hour this could have caused a major fatality. The car only has 9000 miles.
I took the car to the service center and they had already pre diagnosed this to be a bad drive unit. I was told a drive unit had been ordered and should arrive in 5 days. The service center did not provide a loaner car, they stated they were all out. Very disappointing.

Wow. Sorry that happened to you.
QQ though. You simply lost power, right? You could still steer? Since the drive unity failed, I assume regen breaking wasn't operational and you could free coast? If so, I wouldn't say losing power at highway speeds would not cause a fatality since you could still pull over safely. If regen kicked in and you started to decelerate faster than a coast, I do think that would be a hazard (though I can't see it being be fatal).
And yeah, not giving a loaner car is poor service. With both my BMW and Audi, when they were out of their own brand cars, they would just have Enterprise Rent A Car send me a vehicle. I don't. think we can reasonably expect a new, cash-strapped company to have the same amenities as an established behemoth. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to break into the auto business is those little expenditures add up and are harder to absorb when you are VAG or Ford. But it certainly is dissapointing.

Wow. Sorry that happened to you.
QQ though. You simply lost power, right? You could still steer? Since the drive unity failed, I assume regen breaking wasn't operational and you could free coast? If so, I wouldn't say losing power at highway speeds would not cause a fatality since you could still pull over safely. If regen kicked in and you started to decelerate faster than a coast, I do think that would be a hazard (though I can't see it being be fatal).
And yeah, not giving a loaner car is poor service. With both my BMW and Audi, when they were out of their own brand cars, they would just have Enterprise Rent A Car send me a vehicle. I don't. think we can reasonably expect a new, cash-strapped company to have the same amenities as an established behemoth. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to break into the auto business is those little expenditures add up and are harder to absorb when you are VAG or Ford. But it certainly is dissapointing.

Weird that they didn’t give the OP an enterprise rental. They do it all the time here in Seattle. And in every other SC I’ve heard of.

Reactions: StarLog