Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency shutdown on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I was driving about 65 mph down the highway when my 2023 Model X suddenly started beeping and flashed a warning saying it was going into emergency shut down. I lost all acceleration. Fortunately, I was going downhill and was (barely) able to pull up over the curb and onto the grass.

I waited about two hours for a ride (an actual tow via roadside assistance took more than 5.5 hours, but that’s another post), and in that time, the car slowly seemed to return to normal. At first it said power was limited and I could only go 37 mph, then it went up to 67 mph, and by the time I left, it seemed like it was back to full power. Obviously, I didn’t want to try it, but I’m wondering if this has ever happened to anyone and what might have caused it. It’s at the service center now, but they haven’t even looked at it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I don’t think there were any error codes. Attached is a photo of what I saw.
IMG_2786.jpeg

Similar incident happens to me in the Model Y, which I replaced with an X since I had so many problems with it.

In my case, I got a bunch of error codes and lost all power while going 70mph in the middle lane on a very busy highway. Barely made it over to the shoulder. The rear drive unit failed. I didn’t have any warning like you did. Autopilot disengaged, errors popped up and the car lost all propulsion.

It’s a scary experience. I’m glad your okay.

• Love
Reactions: crootloops