Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 model X or 2020 model Y?

2017 model X or 2020 model Y?

• 2017 Model X

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • 2020 Model Y

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get either the 2017X or 2020Y within the next couple of months and wanted to get feedback from you guys that are so much more familiar with Teslas than I am...

They're both in the $60,000 range (give or take) so let's say the price wouldn't be an issue in this debate

I was initially leaning heavily on the X but a couple of buddies this past weekend were saying the Y being brand new, would be a lot more sophisticated, trendy, etc. I guess my main question would be: Have the software updates on the 2017X made it close to the 2020Y or does the Y blow it out of the water? I like the way the X looks both interior and exterior, and the extra range in miles on the Y isn't a deal breaker for me. I drive to work 30 miles each way per day, I'd charge it every evening at home, so going an extra 30-50 miles per battery isn't a major factor for me.

Really curious to see the give and takes but I need to buy 1 of the 2 asap.

Thanks in advance!

Not enough evidences to justify between X and Y.

What are the other usages you plan to have with the Tesla? If you have kids and need space for the family, X is a better fit. Otherwise, solely for commute, Y (or even a 3) is plenty adequate.

Since it is my 1st Tesla, what I did was, I ditch the 3 (get a cheaper gasoline car for wife's commute), get an X (Raven) for myself and the family to see how will it play out (and if needed, wife can use it for commute too), also placed an order on Y. By the time the Y becomes available, we should have enough justifications in deciding which car(s) to keep/get rid of.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Did you test drive the cars? They're very different. But in my view, the Y is the way to go for 2 reasons: 1.) Munro has revealed the refinements made Model Y E40: Mega Wrap Up Episode - Top 10 Takeaways and Future Plans and gives it high marks 2.) vehicle to grid tech in the car allowing you to use your car as a home battery during brownouts, and sell energy back to grid during peak hours. Good luck!

2.) vehicle to grid tech in the car allowing you to use your car as a home battery during brownouts, and sell energy back to grid during peak hours. Good luck!

I think this has been debunked for at least present Teslas. Future Tesla with million mile batteries are a different story, but we do not have a time frame on these yet.

Have you driven either yet?

I drove a Y on Friday, it was not for me. X all the way.

I have not, I admit I like the X much more as far as physical appearance, interior + exterior.

My only apprehension is that the Y is so much more advanced HARDWARE wise that all the software updates in the world for the X will not suffice. That is why I wanted to ask you guys what your feedback is