Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Tesla model s 75d only showing 58kwh added after full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2017 Tesla model s 75d only showing 58kwh added after full charge from 3% to 99% surely the car should have closer to 70 kwh usable capacity if it has 72 kWh usable when new my car is also only showing 220 miles when fully charge when I select typical .

75D should have 72,6kWh usable when new. You have always substract approx 1-2kWh when normal usage (not the laboratory testing), so around 71 in real life conditions when new. Is your pack voltage top-capped to only 4,1V cell top charge level? If yes, substract another 10% of capacity. And you didn't mention your mileage, there will be for sure some degradation. I'd also say pretty normal ;)

done a few tests on my 2017 75d I charged from 3% to 53% to check the lower end of my battery it held 35 kWh very happy with that but its the 50 % to 100% is where the problem is .I also checked the battery health in Tessie it shows battery health 96.1% and yes before anyone asks I have my car set to charge to 100%

my 2017 Tesla model s 75d only showing 58kwh added after full charge from 3% to 99% surely the car should have closer to 70 kwh usable capacity if it has 72 kWh usable when new my car is also only showing 220 miles when fully charge when I select typical .
Could be fuzzy BMS. Next time you drain it really low let it sit for a time before going to charge it so it knows where the bottom is.

Most likely you have around 62-63kWh usable based on average degradation over 5 years.

just done the same test again charged from 3% to 97% and this time my Tesla added just over 65 kWh so I am happy enough with 94 % of my capacity being just over 65 kWh.One thing I am not happy about is my charging speed drops off after 90% and takes around 2 hours to go from 90 to 99 %

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
One thing I am not happy about is my charging speed drops off after 90% and takes around 2 hours to go from 90 to 99 %
Also normal for all EVs with Lithium-Ion NMC-style cells. Small electric devices often ignore this and charge at full speed to 100% which is why those batteries only last a couple of years. The slow charge from 90 to 100% greatly extends the life of the battery. Also, if you don't need 100%, don't leave it at 100%. That also reduces longevity over time. Use it for long trips, but otherwise, leave the charge < 90% if you want the best battery life.

On trips, you travel the fastest by going down to low SOC at the Supercharger and then leaving at around 80% where charging slows down quite a bit.

Just use kW (kilo watts) to describe the power. And yes, this power delivers energy of 11kWh in one hour ;)
Screenshot_20221009_123931.jpg

My home wall connector charges at 11kW. The number to the right of that (0kWh since charging session just started) shows how much has been added to the battery. Tessie says to usable capacity of the battery is 92.6kWh.