Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 RWD, no tread on back tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3 RWD with 18" wheels. The car has 20k miles on it and I am the 2nd owner. The back tires are down to the tread bar and need to be replaced. The Michelin site says these tires are warranties to 45k. Has anyone had luck getting their money back? Or will I be precluded from doing so because I'm the 2nd owner?

If I have to buy new ones, do they have to match the front tires, which don't have much wear? I noticed that the oem tires are $250+ each, but Firestone - for example - sells their Indy 500 model for about $180.

Regardless, I'd like to put tires that have a warranty on the car so that if this happens again, I'm covered.

Any recommendations?

Some notes:

1. Tesla OEM tires are not covered by the manufacturer's treadwear warranty. Michelin only has a treadwear warranty for their tires that are purchased at retail from an authorized dealer.
2. Michelin (and other tire companies) will only honor the treadwear warranty if you can prove that all maintenance such as required rotations were done on the manufacturer's recommended schedule. If you didn't rotate the tires as required, they won't honor the warranty.
3. It is definitely not recommended to replace only 2 of the 4 tires, as that can result in accelerated wear of the new tires. Replace all 4.
4. There are other tire brands and models available for the Model 3, but one of the most important factors is the efficiency. Certain tires can reduce range by 15% or more if they are not designed with efficiency in mind. The OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires are actually some of the most efficient tires available for the model 3. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire, and is one of the most inefficient tires available for the Model 3. You will immediately see a 15% range reduction with those tires.

To select a good tire for you, please pick 3 of the following that are most important to you, in order of importance:
  1. Price
  2. Treadwear longevity
  3. Ride comfort
  4. Ride noise
  5. Dry pavement traction
  6. Wet pavement traction
  7. Snow/ice traction
  8. Cornering/handling ability

Some notes:

1. Tesla OEM tires are not covered by the manufacturer's treadwear warranty. Michelin only has a treadwear warranty for their tires that are purchased at retail from an authorized dealer.
2. Michelin (and other tire companies) will only honor the treadwear warranty if you can prove that all maintenance such as required rotations were done on the manufacturer's recommended schedule. If you didn't rotate the tires as required, they won't honor the warranty.
3. It is definitely not recommended to replace only 2 of the 4 tires, as that can result in accelerated wear of the new tires. Replace all 4.
4. There are other tire brands and models available for the Model 3, but one of the most important factors is the efficiency. Certain tires can reduce range by 15% or more if they are not designed with efficiency in mind. The OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires are actually some of the most efficient tires available for the model 3. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire, and is one of the most inefficient tires available for the Model 3. You will immediately see a 15% range reduction with those tires.

To select a good tire for you, please pick 3 of the following that are most important to you, in order of importance:
  1. Price
  2. Treadwear longevity
  3. Ride comfort
  4. Ride noise
  5. Dry pavement traction
  6. Wet pavement traction
  7. Snow/ice traction

Certainly price and efficiency are most important to me. I live in LA, so not worried about ice.

What is the best priced M3 tire that doesn't impact efficiency?

Some notes:

1. Price
  2. Treadwear longevity
  3. Ride comfort
  4. Ride noise
  5. Dry pavement traction
  6. Wet pavement traction
  7. Snow/ice traction

Also, re replacing four not two, that's a major expense and the front tires barely have any wear since it's a red car. Is there any way I can keep the front tires and maybe rotate them to the back when I get the new ones?

Reactions: cdswm3
OEM tires are like printer ink, the cartage that comes with the printer has less ink than the standard ones you buy. The tred on the 18" are short from the factory.

try this:

Best Tesla Model 3 compatible tires compared using Tire Rack and Tyre Reviews

Unless I'm missing something, almost every summer tire on here has a high rating (8+). Doesn't that mean any of them would be fine?

I don't see anything about mileage loss/efficiency. How would I determine that, especially since I have different tires on the front of the car?

If you're going to replace all 4 then some tires with good price/efficiency/ride would be:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season
Michelin CrossClimate+

If you insist on replacing only 2, then you need to match the other 2 tires on the car:

Michelin Primacy MXM4

Because the Primacy is at least $75 more per tire than the other two, it's actually not that much more to replace all 4:

2x Primacy = 2 x $276 = $552

4x Pirelli = 4x $177 = $708

The ratings you see for tires that are consumer-based can be misleading, because people rate tires according to their expectations and what is important to them. Put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on different people's cars. One person will rate them exceptional because they corner and handle extremely well when driven near the limits. Another person will rate them terrible because they have short tread life. Another rates them awesome because they have a quiet ride. Another rates them terrible because they have bad snow traction.

So if a tire is rated a "7.5", what does that mean to you? Nearly nothing. Since price and efficiency are what you're looking for, then you need a chart of tires where other people who ALSO want price and efficiency rated tires, and no such chart exists.

If you're going to replace all 4 then some tires with good price/efficiency/ride would be:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season
Michelin CrossClimate+

If you insist on replacing only 2, then you need to match the other 2 tires on the car:

Michelin Primacy MXM4

Because the Primacy is at least $75 more per tire than the other two, it's actually not that much more to replace all 4:

2x Primacy = 2 x $276 = $552

4x Pirelli = 4x $177 = $708

The ratings you see for tires that are consumer-based can be misleading, because people rate tires according to their expectations and what is important to them. Put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on different people's cars. One person will rate them exceptional because they corner and handle extremely well when driven near the limits. Another person will rate them terrible because they have short tread life. Another rates them awesome because they have a quiet ride. Another rates them terrible because they have bad snow traction.

So if a tire is rated a "7.5", what does that mean to you? Nearly nothing. Since price and efficiency are what you're looking for, then you need a chart of tires where other people who ALSO want price and efficiency rated tires, and no such chart exists.

Agree re the arbitrary ratings.

Re the tire suggestions. I am looking for tires with a warranty, and the Pirelli's don't have one. They're also only getting 3.5 stars on that site.

I also looked up crossclimate+, and it appears they lose 8% battery due to efficiency. Since I live in LA where there's no winter, I don't need an all season tire that will reduce efficiency.

I don't see these tires rated anywhere, but they have strong reviews on the Goodyear site. They are all season though. But they also have a 45k warranty. Any idea if I'd lose efficiency?

Kelly Edge HP® Tires | Goodyear Auto Service

I have a M3 RWD with 18" wheels. The car has 20k miles on it and I am the 2nd owner. The back tires are down to the tread bar and need to be replaced. The Michelin site says these tires are warranties to 45k. Has anyone had luck getting their money back? Or will I be precluded from doing so because I'm the 2nd owner?

If I have to buy new ones, do they have to match the front tires, which don't have much wear? I noticed that the oem tires are $250+ each, but Firestone - for example - sells their Indy 500 model for about $180.

Regardless, I'd like to put tires that have a warranty on the car so that if this happens again, I'm covered.

Any recommendations?
Go to Americas tire. They will take care of the warranty and give you a credit toward new tires. You have to have even wear,

The more I look into tires, the more confused I am over why I'd need all season ones like people are recommending here. I live in LA where it doesn't snow and rarely rains. Am I going to lose a ton of efficiency with Crossclimate+ or the cheaper Quatric 5?

The more I look into tires, the more confused I am over why I'd need all season ones like people are recommending here. I live in LA where it doesn't snow and rarely rains. Am I going to lose a ton of efficiency with Crossclimate+ or the cheaper Quatric 5?

Both the CrossClimate and the Quatrac 5 tires will lose a little bit of efficiency compared to the Primacy. I have a set of the Quatrac's myself that I use for winter tires, they ride really well, but yes you lose around 5-7% range.

The problem with the summer tires is that while they do fit your climate in southern California, summer tires are all made of softer rubber compounds and will therefore lose a lot of efficiency. Any summer tire you choose is going to lose at least 10% efficiency compared to the Primacy.

The Pirelli I mentioned above is probably your best bet, as it's an all-season and highly efficient.

If this were my car for this go around I would match the front tires and just buy 2. I would put the new ones on the rear and then rotate the tires every 5000 miles to get even wear. Then when all 4 tires are equally worn out you can get a complete new set. There will probably be better tires by then.

Yeah, I don't understand why everyone is saying to change all four tires. What happens if you blow a tire out on the freeway? Are you supposed to replace all four then, too? Seems like you'd be replacing all four tires every time you get a nail in your tire.

Reactions: cdswm3