Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 - Low Miles, All Upgrades except Wheels (Texas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I took delivery on a 2018 Model 3 in April. It's gorgeous - black, long-range battery, plus the enhanced interior, autopilot and self-driving upgrades.It does not have the 19 inch wheels as I really liked the look of the 18 inch black wheels on black car. I've kept it in my garage and it only has 280 miles as of today. I've had a change in circumstances and now sadly have to part with it.

I'm selling it for the exact price I paid - $61,897, no more and no less. It is ready to go now, with pickup in Austin TX. I financed it, so my title is with the credit union and we'd work through them to do the transfer. Whoever can make it happen ASAP gets it. I will not allow test drives - not even the Tesla dealership in Austin is doing that - but you can see it and I can drive you in it before we finalize.

Laura Tesla page 2.PNG

I think jello is asking if you intend to somehow adjust your selling price to reflect any tax credit that you might be receiving. If you received (or will receive, rather) a tax credit and it's not part of the sales discussion, the assertion that you're selling it for the same price that you paid could be disputed, depending upon one's interpretation of "price paid."

I guess I need to explain. The price for which I'm selling the car is literally and precisely to the penny the price that I paid. I'm trying to sell this 2018 Model 3 with less than 300 miles for $61,897, which is the exact dollar amount that I paid to Tesla about 5 weeks ago. What I mean by "the price I paid" is the amount of cash that I sent to Tesla at the time of purchase. I have a receipt showing in March 2018 the price of the car, the amount that I paid Tesla, was $61,897. That is the figure at which I am offering it for sale.

I agree that it is not the net price of total outlay as of 12 months from now when I am able to do the tax credit. So if I had said I'm selling it for the net cost after tax credit, I'd get that the number I posted would not be accurate. But I don't see how there is a different interpretation of the "price that I paid."

Totally understand that if you bought it today from Tesla, you'd pay $61,897 AND get a tax credit. So I'm really not expecting customers who could do that. Anyone with reservations for a Model 3 that they'll receive in the next few months before the credit expires should wait. I thought maybe someone not in that group, someone who isn't scheduled to take delivery until after the tax credit expired or who is way down the list and not taking delivery until 2019 or 2020 might want to get one now instead of waiting.

I'm just putting it out there. If no one is interested, I'll offer it in another forum like ebay or craigslist. I thought this might be a good forum to sell a Tesla as people here presumably are Tesla fans. I didn't to get drawn into a debate over what "price paid" means.

The sale price is $61,897. Just trying to offer my car for sale for the same amount of cash price I paid to Tesla. Hope that explanation helps.

I guess I need to explain. The price for which I'm selling the car is literally and precisely to the penny the price that I paid. I'm trying to sell this 2018 Model 3 with less than 300 miles for $61,897, which is the exact dollar amount that I paid to Tesla about 5 weeks ago. What I mean by "the price I paid" is the amount of cash that I sent to Tesla at the time of purchase. I have a receipt showing in March 2018 the price of the car, the amount that I paid Tesla, was $61,897. That is the figure at which I am offering it for sale.

I agree that it is not the net price of total outlay as of 12 months from now when I am able to do the tax credit. So if I had said I'm selling it for the net cost after tax credit, I'd get that the number I posted would not be accurate. But I don't see how there is a different interpretation of the "price that I paid."

Totally understand that if you bought it today from Tesla, you'd pay $61,897 AND get a tax credit. So I'm really not expecting customers who could do that. Anyone with reservations for a Model 3 that they'll receive in the next few months before the credit expires should wait. I thought maybe someone not in that group, someone who isn't scheduled to take delivery until after the tax credit expired or who is way down the list and not taking delivery until 2019 or 2020 might want to get one now instead of waiting.

I'm just putting it out there. If no one is interested, I'll offer it in another forum like ebay or craigslist. I thought this might be a good forum to sell a Tesla as people here presumably are Tesla fans. I didn't to get drawn into a debate over what "price paid" means.

The sale price is $61,897. Just trying to offer my car for sale for the same amount of cash price I paid to Tesla. Hope that explanation helps.
Everybody knows what you are doing and what you are selling. If you expect to sell it here though, people will expect a concession on the lack of tax credit. Good luck with your sale.

I think an audience this savvy would, for example, be more excited about the sale if you were to split the tax credit with the buyer. Because you waited in line, suffered the torture of a two year wait, jumped through all the logistics and hassle of funding/financing and delivery, I think saying "I'm selling this highly sought after, barely driven, vehicle at sticker price, less half my tax credit" would be entirely reasonable.

Now, out in the real world, where Joe Lunchbox is looking at a 12 months or longer wait time, and the likelihood of a lesser tax credit, you may have better success selling it at sticker price and keeping all of the tax credit for yourself.