Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 - LR, PUP, EAP, PPF, tint, 2k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
IMG_20180520_135654.jpg

This car has 2,157 miles on it and looks brand new. We are upgrading to a Performance version, which is scheduled to be delivered on Nov 9. Tesla gave me what I thought was a very solid trade-in offer, but then I looked at Kelly Blue Book and they say the Private Party Value is between $55,078 and $58,945 - and they aren't counting the aftermarket add-ons. I'm asking $52,950, if somebody can act on this before my new car arrives. I live in Issaquah WA, near Seattle.

This is an LR RWD, so it has the long-range battery and the Premium interior package. I ordered it with red color, 18" wheels, and extended auto pilot. It has been upgraded to the v9 software, and in fact just got the new "navigate on autopilot" feature this morning. It was ordered before the connectivity deadline, so the car has free Premium connectivity (internet service for maps, streaming music, internet browser, etc) for life.

I have also put a legal level of tint on the windows, full-front paint protection film (XPEL self-healing), and protective film on the center console. Over $2k spent on these.

No damage of any kind, no smoking or pets, clean title in hand, no liens. The car is just like new except for the miles.

The exterior pictures are of my car. The interior pictures are from the internet (it's dark now, the interior is black and my phone camera does poorly in low light); but they are indistinguishable from my car.

IMG_20180520_135654.jpg
IMG_20180520_135622.jpg
20181101_111809.jpg
20181101_111944.jpg
20181101_112011.jpg
IMG_20180525_170028.jpg
IMG_20180525_170146.jpg
104951108-Model-3---Interior-Rear-Seat-Blue-Sky.jpg

Attachments

• 38-2018-Tesla-Model-3-Interior-KBB.jpg
    38-2018-Tesla-Model-3-Interior-KBB.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 597bceae4528e621008b58b2.jpg
    597bceae4528e621008b58b2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: Xenius
Keep in mind KBB value is calculated by advertised “asking” prices not related to selling prices, realize the market is flooded with buyers not actually successfully selling their Model 3 cars because they are asking more than they can be purchased new from Tesla. Hence the big difference between what Tesla realizes the market sales value is and what KBB says sellers are advertising them for.

Fortunately I am asking far less than the KBB range. I'm also asking at the low end of local craigslist ads (with comparable equipment). And if it doesn't sell...I can get very nearly as much as I am asking by trading in to Tesla.

So while I appreciate your concern, it would be silly for me to ask less. Trading in is easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenius and Bebop
Perhaps you are trying to be helpful; but telling me it's worth far less than I've already been offered is not helpful.

An estimate of worth is likely to be higher in Seattle than Omaha. I am going to get a LOT more than $47k by trading it in. And I have a potential buyer coming to look at it tomorrow morning that said he was thinking about $52k.

Fit and finish are fantastic on my car; so I don't understand why you would subtract for that without looking at it.

I assume your $3k upwards estimate on Jan 1 refers to the tax credit (which not everybody can take, but I'll ignore that for a minute). The LR RWD is no longer available new, but if it was, you probably (at least according to my local OA) couldn't get it before Dec 31 anyway unless you pick it up in Fremont, so no reason to wait until that day to adjust the price. You can't compare it to a new one with the tax credit if you can't get a new one with the tax credit.

Last edited:
Fortunately I am asking far less than the KBB range. I'm also asking at the low end of local craigslist ads (with comparable equipment). And if it doesn't sell...I can get very nearly as much as I am asking by trading in to Tesla.

So while I appreciate your concern, it would be silly for me to ask less. Trading in is easier.

I had no concerns, and was not commenting on your price. I was just updating you on the irrelevancy of KBB pricing because you mentioned the KBB values. Dealers no longer place any value on NADA or KBB because of the wide swings in advertised asking vs actual sales numbers. Manheim MMR is an accurate wholesale number that is updated in real time. Ironically because of the relatively tiny numbers of Tesla transactions compared to mainstream cars it is not quite as accurate for Teslas. GLWS :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadS
The car is sold (well, I still have it by design because my new car is not here yet, but it looks like a solid deal). The guy that looked at it this morning is going to paypal me a deposit, and says he will come to my P3D delivery next week and hand me a cashier's check - that way I can drive in with one car and drive away with another, just as if I was trading it in.

Tesla offered $46,200 for the car. In my state, you get a sales tax credit for your trade-in value, and the sales tax rate for vehicles is 10.3%. That means my P3D purchase price would have been reduced by $50,959 if I had traded it in. Trading in is, of course, easier and safer than selling private party, so any private party sale has to go above that amount, not just match it.

• Love
Reactions: 2012MS85 and P85_DA
The latest deal has expired and it was for new EVs that had an MSRP below a certain amount and the tax free amount was limited. i.e. you got it on M3, Bolt, Leaf but not MS, MX.
The seller might have got on the deal as he bought his car earlier this year.

Alloverx is correct on all accounts.

WA had a complete sales tax waiver on new alt-fuel vehicles that expired on Jun 30, 2015. It didn't apply to my 2008 Prius PHEV conversion or my used 2003 RAV4-EV purchase, but it did help a lot on my 2010 Roadster and 2012 S purchases. Tesla was awfully busy in June 2015, and in fact I worked as a temporary contractor helping them deliver cars that month.

WA later got a new partial sales tax waiver on the first $32k of value. There was a base MSRP cutoff intentionally set to exempt Tesla's S and X from the waiver; but the waiver did apply to the 3. That expired on May 31, 2018. I got that partial waiver when I purchased the 3 LR that I am now selling.

But WA no longer has any incentives for purchasing an EV. In fact, we pay an extra $150 every year when we renew our tabs.