Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Value of 2018 Model 3 - Best way to deal with upgrade to model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2018 Model 3 RWD LR with 98,000km or so. It has EAP, FSD and the upgraded computer as well as premium connectivity for life. We are looking at upgrading to the Model Y. Is the best way to get the value out of the car is to trade it in against it or sell it privately. We are in Ontario. Anyone have a rough estimate of what they would expect to get with a car or anyone recent experience with trading in. It is in great condition with a set of rims and winter tires. Pictures below.

Attachments

• 20210403_142837918_iOS.jpg
    20210403_142837918_iOS.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210403_142812033_iOS.jpg
    20210403_142812033_iOS.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 42
Interesting. I have a 2018 model 3 LR dual motor with just about 62,000 km. EAP and premium connectivity for life (although I don't think that transfers) and the 19" OEM all seasons and a set of 4 18" Winters (wheels and tires). I have also been thinking of upgrading. I am going to submit online for the trade in and see what they offer.
I believe it still works this way, but if you trade it in and they take for example, $25K off the selling price, that reduces you sales tax by about $3,200 so would need to clear $28K + for the private sale to put you ahead when comparing it to trading it in for a new model. (Although I don't believe this works if you lease but not sure about that - but regardless, you would likely not want to put "down" $25K on a lease.

Interesting. I have a 2018 model 3 LR dual motor with just about 62,000 km. EAP and premium connectivity for life (although I don't think that transfers) and the 19" OEM all seasons and a set of 4 18" Winters (wheels and tires). I have also been thinking of upgrading. I am going to submit online for the trade in and see what they offer.
I believe it still works this way, but if you trade it in and they take for example, $25K off the selling price, that reduces you sales tax by about $3,200 so would need to clear $28K + for the private sale to put you ahead when comparing it to trading it in for a new model. (Although I don't believe this works if you lease but not sure about that - but regardless, you would likely not want to put "down" $25K on a lease.

If you're nearish to Ottawa ( between Toronto and Montreal), I'd be interested in your MY3LR. Dependant on price of course.

Feel free to reach out after you get the trade in quote.

I don't mean to steal the thread 😁