Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 LR RWD issue when starting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting an intermittent issue on my first drive of the day when the weather is chilly. I live in Atlanta GA so chilly is below 50s. Upon depressing the brake pedal to activate the car into drive, I am getting a strong vibration from the brake pedal and multiple errors on the display. The car will go into Drive "D" for a moment, and then immediately revert back to Park "P". Since I have an alternate vehicle I will use that and then the tesla seems to work fine in the afternoon, I believe due to the warming of the temperature. The car is not stored in a garage. This has happened dozens of times, and I dropped it off with Tesla six months ago, and they could not replicate the issue nor determine the issue via the cars log files. Has anyone experienced this issue? Video link https://youtube.com/shorts/QWeqqQuEUHU?feature=share attached showing the issue.

Sorry no direct experience myself but FWIW my Bolt driver this week had a M3 SR, and we got chatting and he described the same issue. He logged a service request and the chat advised some general cleaning tips but nothing has worked so far. Just like you, its worse in the morning typically, but it happens any time the car has been sitting still for an approx 8+ hour period.

Do you drive the car in Creep, Hold, or Roll mode? He used Roll and I wonder if that has any influence on it.

Upvote 0
Sorry no direct experience myself but FWIW my Bolt driver this week had a M3 SR, and we got chatting and he described the same issue. He logged a service request and the chat advised some general cleaning tips but nothing has worked so far. Just like you, its worse in the morning typically, but it happens any time the car has been sitting still for an approx 8+ hour period.

Do you drive the car in Creep, Hold, or Roll mode? He used Roll and I wonder if that has any influence on it.
I predominately use Hold mode. Thank you for your comments.

Upvote 0