Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3. Pristine Condition!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Unless you live in Arizona or Nevada, you will still have to pay sale tax on used cars. Let say for Texas, asking price $53k * 6.25% = $56,3125.00, vs $52,750 buy new based on your math.

Who said that you will not pay sales tax when you buy? Read my post.

The only thing I said is that you cannot get a Tesla for the price you have in your online configurator - so when someone here was daydreaming of getting a brand new similar Tesla for 56.7k I called them off. The tax brings the price up another x%. For an individual, it does not matter where your money goes (uncle Sam or Tesla), the only important part is that it is out of your pocket....

Conversely, when selling a car, I couldn't care less what the buyer will end up paying to Uncle Sam, just what she or he pays to me. If you sell at the 56.7k + tax car for 50 k, you did not lose 6.7k, you lost 6.7k + original tax paid. Pretty simple arithmetic, really.

Lol 4-6months more like 4 weeks
Or less, esp. if one is the SF Bay Area. A co-worker a few weeks ago ordered a RWD 3 on a Tuesday. He got a call on Wednesday saying he could pick up as soon as Sunday! I don't think anyone expected it that fast! He already had a planned trip so he postponed it until the following Wednesday. He got it that Wednesday.

A few months back, someone else at my work (who I don't work with) somehow "jumped the line" ahead of many others and got their RWD 3 within 3 weeks of order time. AFAIK, they never put in any $1K reservation $ and by the time they ordered, Tesla wasn't doing that any more anyway.

Reactions: P85_DA
Bump
-Price drop
Please don't hesitate to call me with any questions.
Thx
Paul

Too funny... you dropped the original price from $53.5K to $53 and now to $52.5. The market price is $10K less... $43K :cool:

MSRP $56K - $7500 Tax Credit - at least $5k deprecation = $43500....$10k too much GLWS!!

Please provide some data to support this.
I received an email from Tesla saying if we wanted a 3 they were available now for immediate delivery, not immediate order but immediate delivery. I would imagine that I’m not an anomaly and those emails went out to anyone with Tesla’s. I hear people talking about sales tax, most states charge equal sales tax on new and used cars so that is a wash. Only new cars are eligible for $7500 federal tax credits so a used car should be considerably cheaper than a new one that is readily available.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and cwerdna
It's gonna be a tough sell at this price. They have new inventory M3's you can buy immediately where they'll also throw in a year of free supercharging on, and you'd qualify for both the federal and state tax rebates. At least where I live that's $9500 off the MSRP, plus the free year of supercharging. Plus my friend would get a referral reward. Even accounting for the increased paint and delivery fees that would make a new one $47.2K. I'm not sure who in their right mind would buy a used one with less warranty and without the free year of supercharging for $5000 more, this is incomprehensibly priced.

The only buyers I could see being willing to pay even $47K would be someone in a state with no sales tax on a used vehicle and no EV tax credit, otherwise there is literally no advantage at all to buying this car used.

Reactions: cwerdna
Too funny... you dropped the original price from $53.5K to $53 and now to $52.5. The market price is $10K less... $43K :cool:

Vroom.com just paid me $44,000 for a model 3 with the identical configuration, 8k miles, curb rash on three wheels, and a slight door ding. And they have a Model 3 without autopilot listed as sale pending for $48,980 with only slightly fewer miles than the OPs car. So Model 3’s seem to be depreciating less than a normal car right now. Although I have no idea how long that will last.

Not necessarily. I've see used car dealers employ this strategy:
  1. List the price above market price
  2. Drop the price every week by some %
  3. Advertise the fact that the price will be going down every week and how much
  4. No negotiations
  5. Count on someone who really wants is and doesn't want to miss out
FOMO can be a great marketing tool. Sometimes they do sell at above market prices because there is someone who wants this particular configuration used car and don't want lose the car to someone else, then have to look for another one just like it, or have to compromise on color or some option.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ordered mine Friday and picking up tommorow a Friday later. Um 60k with taxes and minus my 2.5k depoist fsd and metallic black less 7.5k rebate. Still a better deal then buy used at 52. I almost snagged one with eap blue and 19" used for 47.5k since tesla offered him the same he traded it in. On that note if anyone wants to buy mine right now I'll let it go for 55k that's reasonable right?