Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 model S 100D SUC speed very slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear members,

I have had a model S since 2018.. besides some quirks have been happy with the car, but since a few months I have noticed a serious drop in supercharging speed.

I used to get around 140kw to about 30% then it would come down to around 90kw at 50% and around 70kw at 70%. The last few months I'm at 65-70kw at 50% and 140kw is only reached for a few %

Sometimes it also starts charging at 130-140kw but then after a few % it drops to 70-74 (without another car connected to the other stall.

Today (and this is the reason I'm writing this post) I started to charge at 50% and only got 60kw, at 55% only 55kw.

It seems after 220.000km I can't use this car for road trips anymore.. at the same time I keep getting mails from Tesla telling me that I can transfer free supercharging when I buy a new model S... Then I start to wonder... is Tesla limiting on purpose??

I used Tessie to check my battery degradation and it's at 14% which I expected.

Maybe one thing to note : When I parked the car a few weeks ago with 9% SOC left for a few hours , I got the message that only 1% is left.

Is my battery dying ?

2 reasons for slow SC
- limit due to many DC charging, do u have SMT to see how much DC charging was done vs AC?
- batteries cold (maybe ur battery heater is dead?)

14% degradation is on a heavy side so i'm assuming many DC charging sessions were done n hence the limited rate now
9% > 1% drop is kinda normal on heavily used battery, i get that on mine too (104k mi, 10% degradation)

Yes.. I guess around 95% DC. But that 14% degradation was already there 2 years ago..

I was under the impression DC charging wasn’t bad for the battery.

Last year My AC stopped working “intermittently”, I could only fast charge at decent speeds while the AC was running… then on other DC sessions I got very high speeds..

THC_w0142_rfrgSuctPress Error was the culprit.. they changed some valves.. everything was back to normal.. mm

I wonder how long my battery will keep going 😏

Actually I forgot one more,
It'll slow down charge rate if ac is not working properly n batteries too hot
This doesn't have to be during hot weather
I heard my ac screaming during SC when it was only like 60 outside but it was after long drive n batteries were already at like 45C

I had 2 times such supercharging issues with my 100D - was in both cases linked to battery cooling through the A/C.

1st time: due to a 3 way valve - replaced.

2nd time (I add also a similar "rfrgSuctPress" code, don't remember which exactly), Tesla initially diagnosed another valve, but which finally was not the problem. There was a loss of coolant gas but they could not find why. They had to leave a tracer in the AC circuit and finally identified a gasket with a small link. They were not sure that this was the real reason :)confused:), as the leak was very small, but it turned out that I do not have problems since.

Since then all fine (but supercharging curve is never exactly the same from one charge to another).

I can have % drops as you describe, but they are always related to specific circumstances: parking the car after a long drive (so with a hot battery), at low SOC and cold/mild weather. It is due to the battery cooling down - you cannot access the entire battery capacity when the battery is cold, and the car recalculates the SOC shown on the dashboard based on that.

Before fearing the battery is dead I would suggest to ask your service center - or a specialized 3rd party - to have a look first at your supercharging issues. And know that the diagnostic may not be right first time.

Yeah.. I know the curve is not alway thesame. Many factors playing a role.

I’m just interested to know if there are fellow members with 150.000 miles + on their EV where the charging curve is exactly as it was when the car was new.

Or is calendar degradation so important that all cars will supercharge slower for every year they age ?

Like in my case there is a significant different ( slower ) charging curve now than when the car was new…

Yeah.. I know the curve is not alway thesame. Many factors playing a role.

I’m just interested to know if there are fellow members with 150.000 miles + on their EV where the charging curve is exactly as it was when the car was new.

Or is calendar degradation so important that all cars will supercharge slower for every year they age ?

Like in my case there is a significant different ( slower ) charging curve now than when the car was new…
Nearly 200,000 miles on my 2016 90D, no, charging curve is not the same as when new. In fact, Charging rates and curve are FASTER than when new. Same goes for my sons 2014 P85D, with 223,000 miles.

Reactions: Jverhelst
Nearly 200,000 miles on my 2016 90D, no, charging curve is not the same as when new. In fact, Charging rates and curve are FASTER than when new. Same goes for my sons 2014 P85D, with 223,000 miles.
85k miles on my 2015 s85d. I have definitely noticed a large slowdown in supercharging. I get around 100 kw for a very short time if I'm at 10%, and that's when I was on a trip with the supercharger as the next destination. I've lost 9% of range. Mine quickly goes down below 90kw. I'm positive I used to have much better supercharging.

On a related topic, if Tesla does bring it back transferable FUSC I would seriously consider getting a new one. I did use it for a really long trip this summer, but the estimates of charging time from the route planning were always quite a bit underestimating the charge itself. The car operates well. I don't have any warnings about issues so what can I do to investigate if there's a problem?

85k miles on my 2015 s85d. I have definitely noticed a large slowdown in supercharging. I get around 100 kw for a very short time if I'm at 10%, and that's when I was on a trip with the supercharger as the next destination. I've lost 9% of range. Mine quickly goes down below 90kw. I'm positive I used to have much better supercharging.

On a related topic, if Tesla does bring it back transferable FUSC I would seriously consider getting a new one. I did use it for a really long trip this summer, but the estimates of charging time from the route planning were always quite a bit underestimating the charge itself. The car operates well. I don't have any warnings about issues so what can I do to investigate if there's a problem?
In Europe they do.. at least I have received several mails with the message I can transfer free suc when buying a new model s/x before end of quarter..

But I don’t wanna get a new s/x. I d consider 3/y though

The case of the first gen battery (70/85) is specific, it is known here that the charging speed has been limited by Tesla somewhere in 2019-2020 among reliability concerns.

On my 100D (190 000 km) the charging speed remains very good. I can see that the plateau at full power (142-143KW) is shorter than when I bought it, but the shape of the charging curve remains the same than new, except when the car obviously caps the speed for thermal reasons (high temperature outside, SUC V2 without cooled plug & cable, or when I had these A/C issues).

Charging speed has also been improved in specific cases (I guess it was intended, through firmware updates). For example if I start charging at 40-50% I am reaching higher charging speeds at these SOC than when I start at 15-20%. In the past I would have had the same.

When it comes to charging speeds per model, year, etc., always good to have a look at teslalogger.de for reference values.