Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S heated seats and steering wheel will not turn on with app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everybody. Looking for some help.

I have a 2018 Model S. Today from the app I tried to turn on the heat in the car, the seat heaters and steering wheel heater. When I got into the car, the inside warmed up like normal but the seat heater and the steering wheel were not hot even though it showed they were on in the app. When I press the screen inside the car for the seats and steering wheel they turned on like normal.

Any idea what's going on?

There's been a bug for a few updates now that sometimes when you activate those from the app, they will not display as being on on the car's main screen. I, too, thought that it wasn't triggering until one day I noticed me seat was getting hot and it was showing off. I went to turn it off and saw it was already showing off. I tapped the screen once and it popped on but to 1 bacon (what we call the little squiggles... as in... how many bacons do you want?) which would indicate that it was previously at 2 which is typically where I set it from the app. Typically, this would be 3 bacons after a single press like that. I was able to confirm that this behavior is repeatable when it happens for both seats as well as the steering wheel.

Summary: it still works fine the bug is just in the current state display of the car's main screen. Tesla should have fixed this by now as it's been around for months and a couple of revisions since.

Reactions: DerbyDave
There's been a bug for a few updates now that sometimes when you activate those from the app, they will not display as being on on the car's main screen. I, too, thought that it wasn't triggering until one day I noticed me seat was getting hot and it was showing off. I went to turn it off and saw it was already showing off. I tapped the screen once and it popped on but to 1 bacon (what we call the little squiggles... as in... how many bacons do you want?) which would indicate that it was previously at 2 which is typically where I set it from the app. Typically, this would be 3 bacons after a single press like that. I was able to confirm that this behavior is repeatable when it happens for both seats as well as the steering wheel.

Summary: it still works fine the bug is just in the current state display of the car's main screen. Tesla should have fixed this by now as it's been around for months and a couple of revisions since.
Thanks for this...I'll have to check again but regardless what as showing on the screen the seats or wheel were not warm / hot at all. As if they were not on.

Mine is like this. 10 minute precondition and the car is toasty but the seat and steering wheel are still cold. Once I start driving, they slowly warm up. Just updated to 2022.8.10.8, hopefully it's fixed. Getting cold tomorrow so I'll know soon!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Thanks! Let me know please :)
So the update appears to have fixed the issue! It was in the 40s this morning (cold for south Texas lol) so I cranked on the heat, seat heater and steering wheel heater from the app. A few minutes later I get in the car and it's warm, the wheel is warm and the seats are definitely on. Only strange thing was once I got in the car the temp in the car was on low (where it was at from the day before) so starting at the point i entered the vehicle cold air was blowing again and I had to change it in the car to get heat back.