Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - not charging above 16a on wall charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a wall charger at home that charges my M3 at 48a (we keep the Model X in the garage which charges at 16A). I parked the X in the other spot and it would only charge at 16A on the wall charger...? I tried adjusting the setting in the app and on the car to 48a, but it wouldn't charge above 16.

I also put my car back on the wall charger and that charged at 48a no problem.

Any suggestions?

(I've set up a service appointment and searched the forums, but didn't see anything this specific).

When you charge from the mobile connector or wall charger, you are using a transformer in the vehicle (on-board charger). Superchargers bypass that. If the setting went to 48A in the vehicle but the charge rate remained constrained to 16A, then the service appointment you already scheduled is still your best bet.

When you charge from the mobile connector or wall charger, you are using a transformer in the vehicle (on-board charger). Superchargers bypass that. If the setting went to 48A in the vehicle but the charge rate remained constrained to 16A, then the service appointment you already scheduled is still your best bet.

Thanks for this.
Tesla cancelled my appointment because they couldn’t see any issues with my car!?!?

They left a vm saying to send pictures but I was slammed at work and went to send them today to only see the appointment cancelled… they also said they don’t support wall chargers and pointed me to Tesla energy.

I’m going to set up another appointment given the info above. Thanks.

Thanks for this.
Tesla cancelled my appointment because they couldn’t see any issues with my car!?!?

They left a vm saying to send pictures but I was slammed at work and went to send them today to only see the appointment cancelled… they also said they don’t support wall chargers and pointed me to Tesla energy.

I’m going to set up another appointment given the info above. Thanks.
If your home charging went suddenly down to almost half you used to have, is most likely a problem with the on-board charger, $2200 for the part plus some under 3hrs of labor~$ 3k out of pocket! For your 2022, you gotta insist they replace it, it should be still under warranty, that's why Tesla' s reaction, nothing wrong. They did a remote diagnosis for mine(2016 MS 75D) and sent me rlthe cost estimate right away. So... Get it changed. Not for refurbished. Ask for the old one back. It's yours, you paid for it...might be useful in the future

Reactions: geometro
If your home charging went suddenly down to almost half you used to have, is most likely a problem with the on-board charger, $2200 for the part plus some under 3hrs of labor~$ 3k out of pocket! For your 2022, you gotta insist they replace it, it should be still under warranty, that's why Tesla' s reaction, nothing wrong. They did a remote diagnosis for mine(2016 MS 75D) and sent me rlthe cost estimate right away. So... Get it changed. Not for refurbished. Ask for the old one back. It's yours, you paid for it...might be useful in the future
If the work is done under warranty, they will not give you the old parts. If work is paid out-of-pocket, you can get the old part if you pay the core charge. Sometimes there is no core charge and you can have the old part for free - depends on the part.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
If the work is done under warranty, they will not give you the old parts. If work is paid out-of-pocket, you can get the old part if you pay the core charge. Sometimes there is no core charge and you can have the old part for free - depends on the part.

Thx, Big:) what is a core charge? I see you being very knowledgeable, do you know by any chance if my late 2016 MS 75 D, with an onboard charger at 48A, the respective charger has fuses inside or not? Thx again

Regarding the charger in your car - I've never heard of a Tesla with AC charging problem being fixed by replacing fuses. That's not to say it isn't possible, but every thread I've come across talks about replacing the entire unit. If you want to explore the fuse route (or other self-diagnosis and repair), you'll likely be on your own to remove and disassemble the unit, obtain and replace the correct component, and reinstall.

Regarding the charger in your car - I've never heard of a Tesla with AC charging problem being fixed by replacing fuses. That's not to say it isn't possible, but every thread I've come across talks about replacing the entire unit. If you want to explore the fuse route (or other self-diagnosis and repair), you'll likely be on your own to remove and disassemble the unit, obtain and replace the correct component, and reinstall.
There are at least a couple of postings on YouTube(but car was 2013, or 2014)as well as here, about replacing the 2 fuses, a total of $80! I searched "slow onboard charger" and it comes up. Won't do it. Just wondering.thx again