Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stops after a few minutes at home with wall and mobile charger, works with public charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have been having a problem for about a week now, and trying to pinpoint the problem. I don't know if it's the car, my house or ghosts in the machine.

At home, with the wall charger, the car will stop charging after a few minutes. I also tried the mobile charger, which does the same thing.
I reset the breaker and there is no change. I also reset the car.

No errors or notifications.

What is confusing me is that I am at a mall free public charging station now for a half hour and it seems to be charging fine.

Why would both my wall charger and mobile charger fail?

Hi all,

I have been having a problem for about a week now, and trying to pinpoint the problem. I don't know if it's the car, my house or ghosts in the machine.

At home, with the wall charger, the car will stop charging after a few minutes. I also tried the mobile charger, which does the same thing.
I reset the breaker and there is no change. I also reset the car.

No errors or notifications.

What is confusing me is that I am at a mall free public charging station now for a half hour and it seems to be charging fine.

Why would both my wall charger and mobile charger fail?
First, is this a 240V connection, or 120? What is the rating of circuit breaker that tripped? The Wall Connector requires a 60 amp circuit to charge at 48 amps.

Upvote 0
Mine did that. Would go for a few minutes, then stop. Sometimes a couple minutes, sometimes up to 1/2 hour. Ended up being a loose wire right at the electrical panel. Tesla wall/mobile chargers will stop if they see an imbalance. Took me weeks to figure it out. I tried a new 6-50 receptacle (replaced the Leviton with a Bryant which is a good idea anyhow) and soon after that is when I found the loose wire at the electrical panel. It wasn't loose in the sense that I could wiggle it but the breaker screw needed another 1/4 turn and all was well.

Upvote 0
Another vote for loose wiring. The Wall Connector has a thermal sensor built into the device. It's designed to stop charging if heat builds up to levels considered "unsafe". When the wires are loose the wires tend to heat up, triggering the sensor. Wall Connector instructions require torquing the wires with 50 inch/pounds of torque. That's quite a bit, and I was surprised by how much tighter the connection was after using a specialized torque tool.

Inside the main panel torque is equally important. Be sure you have #6 gauge wire for 60AMP circuits, and #8 at minimum for 40AMP circuits. It's challenging to torque the heavier gauge wires tightly, but it's easier with the proper tools.

Upvote 0