Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 P100D or 2020 Performance? Buying Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys, looking at getting a Model S and was originally gonna spend around 65k (I'm in Canada) for a P100D 2017-2018 however I got reading about "raven" and the updates in mid 2019 so I started to look at a 2020 Performance, however it's $85k so around $20k more for the newer car.

Question, is the raven that big of a deal for me to spend 20k more to get the slightly newer model? I'm a performance car enthusiast (I have a 911 Turbo and 1000hp TrailblazerSS with 6.2L S/C motor) so I want a fast car as a daily driver but I'm more comfortable at the $65k price point, but can do the $85k if it's really worth it for the newer models.

It doesn't appear there's much performance diff between the P100D and newer Performance model so is all that big enough deal to spend the additional 20k? My general considerations are reliability, performance, depreciation.

Thanks for your opinions, please don't get hung up on the prices that's our local costs and it will vary widely vs where you may live.

The ravens have longer range, air suspension, and 2 extra years of battery warranty. They also have MCU2 hardware, so you don’t have to pay 2k to upgrade.

Also, be aware that ludicrous mode was a $10k add on option around 2017/2018 so not all the early performance models have it. 2019 and early 2020 ravens had unlimited mile warranty, while later ones had 150k miles (not sure if Canada is similar)

Personally, I found the collective upgrades to be worth the money particularly the extra battery/ldu warranty. I do really like the the air suspension.

Reactions: SilverGS
It's important to note that the P100D also had air suspension, but it's not an adaptive suspension as the raven cars are. It's a noticeable upgrade beyond raising and lowering the car.

MCU2 was introduced back in March 2018, so most 2018s will have it. Good idea to check, though I would budget for the upgrade if it doesn't have it.

I've also mentioned in a few other threads that the permanent magnet motor of the raven platform allows for true one pedal driving and stronger regen which really makes for a better driving experience. It's one of the most underrated improvements made on the raven cars IMO. It's a little difference, but a noticeable one that you experience every time you come to a stop.

Depreciation will almost always be higher with a newer car, though that may not matter much if you only keep a car until the battery/DU warranty expires. You'll just get a few more years out of a newer car.

I noticed in 2021 there is no "performance" model.. Is the 2021 Long Range AWD the same as the performance? It looks like it's the same power level (ish) but has the updated interior, wondering if I should be looking at that instead. Thoughts?

So i bought a 2021 Long Range in Blue with 21" wheels and Full Self Driving. Thanks for your help guys, saved me from buying an older (but still good) car. Yeah Canadian dollars, so keep in mind different sized economies, currency price etc.. So take my price and times it by 0.75 right off the bat :)

16K Kilometers (10k miles) Full Self Driving paid, Yoke steering wheel. Picking up friday, pretty excited. Hopefully it's a good purchase.

Attachments

• 22199f45-8679-41c7-bb16-03d180020688.jpg
    22199f45-8679-41c7-bb16-03d180020688.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 51