Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 P100D vs 2019 Performance (raven) which to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You say hardware limitations. I read an article where Tesla programmed the M3 to use regular brakes (electronically) below the regen low speed threshold to simulate one pedal driving to a full stop. The article just failed to mention model S.

Hence the question

Does anyone think the lake of interior nag camera makes the 2018 more desirable for FSD use?
is the camera really all that bad?
Raven all the way; 1-pedal driving experience and smoother regen braking are worth it. And since no one else said it, don’t bother with FSD. Standard AP will provide most of the value. Many other threads on that topic.

To answer your question, I had 2018 before Refresh and believe the camera can decrease nag, so long as you’re paying attention and not picking up phone.

You say hardware limitations. I read an article where Tesla programmed the M3 to use regular brakes (electronically) below the regen low speed threshold to simulate one pedal driving to a full stop. The article just failed to mention model S.

Hence the question
oh yeah i forgot about that option.. don't know anything about it tho...
but again like i said, so many flavors of "one pedal" out there...
when u just said "one pedal" without any details, most ppl think of PM motor that lets u stop with just release of accelerator, aka raven n later cars

Hence the question
This is referring to the friction brakes activating when regen is limited due to low temperature or high SoC. It is designed to give a similar driving experience in all conditions. Tesla made this change on the 3/Y but not the S/X. What a shame.

For the cars without permanent magnet motors, AP can already blend in friction brakes to bring the car to a stop in traffic, not sure why they didn't do this for 1-pedal driving, but my guess is because they abandoned the MobileEye system entirely.

Coming from a car with the performance plus suspension, I wasn't sold on the adaptive suspension right away. I liked the stiff, responsive, solid feel of the plus suspension, and I thought the adaptive suspension was a little soft. It has grown on me, however, and it can still be pretty stiff when the sliders are maxed out. It is less fatiguing on long trips and is better at absorbing bumps than the old plus. I never drove a standard air suspension car, but I heard it was a bit wallowy and floaty.

The 2018 to 2019 is a fairly significant upgrade, I would 100% go for the 2019/2020 cars.

The 40mi extra range is HUGE and is not "nearly identical" there is significant improvement in efficiency as well as drive unit (permanent magent motor in front) in the newer 2019/2020 cars.

Also remember there are many small changes even within model years...Tesla does not do what legacy car makers do and make big changes from one year to the next...there's always incremental changes and then with 2019 model year there is a step up to the Raven platform so there's that
They are 100% identical, You can't "See" the motor so why even say that???????

• Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS
I’ll be the 7th one to say definitely get a Raven, and the second one to suggest that the lack of prepaid FSD is not a reason to reject a car. I think other considerations should be what color do you personally want? White is a lot easier to keep looking good than black. Also I would recommend white seats, that gets mega compliments from passengers.

??
As @ginmqi said, the front motor is 100% different on the 2019 vs 2018 - permanent magnet as opposed to induction which is more efficient not only while driving but also under re-gen. And the rear motor is also uprated. And the battery is version G.
Pretty sure the rear drive unit is the same as it's been on all P cars. I've not seen any mention of it being more powerful, unless it's from additional amps from the battery, but that's just the availability of more current. The front permanent magnet motor comes from the model 3 performance and is more powerful than the old induction motor it replaced, however.

Pretty sure the rear drive unit is the same as it's been on all P cars. I've not seen any mention of it being more powerful, unless it's from additional amps from the battery, but that's just the availability of more current. The front permanent magnet motor comes from the model 3 performance and is more powerful than the old induction motor it replaced, however.
All P cars have the same motor, But the rear was a different since it was capable of more power, But only the rear on P cars.

??
As @ginmqi said, the front motor is 100% different on the 2019 vs 2018 - permanent magnet as opposed to induction which is more efficient not only while driving but also under re-gen. And the rear motor is also uprated. And the battery is version G.
And to add to this, the suspension is completely different. It's still an air suspension, but it's a different design and the components are different.

Buying any car in early/mid 2023 is (or was) a bad idea, as interest rates rise, and prices continue to plummet, especially EVs.
But when comparing facelift to raven, how does free supercharging not factor into your decision (available up until april 2017). Not one comment even mentioned it