Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 to 2023 - 2023 doesn't cool as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was forced to replace my 2018 LR 3 with a new 3 this year (totaled the 2018) and opted for the M3P but the one thing I've noticed is that the new one does not seem to cool the car as fast as the old one. I know they've made changes to the HVAC since I got my 2018, but has anyone else that had an older one and has upgraded noticing the same thing?

Sitting in the hot New Mexico sun, my 2021 MYLR cools off the cabin at a rate of about 10F per minute. This is with a sun shade in the windshield and the roof. IMO this is impressively fast.

It is easy to test this on your car from the comfort of your home. Just use the app to turn the A/C on and to record the cabin temperature every minute for a few minutes. The cooling rate may be different in the 3 and, of course, it will depend on the weather conditions but this is still an easy way to measure how powerful the cooling is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zinjan and GSP
What are the things it’s interesting is that the newer system doesn’t turn the air conditioning on on both sides of the car. It does use a heat pump and I’ve heard tales of it not cooling as quickly.
I wonder if that's why I'm noticing it. Living in GA, and having only had the car since late June, certainly have not used the heat but I've heard the heat pump makes it more efficient to heat when it's cold. Having had my 2018 in IL for several winters, the old system ate battery to heat the car.

I wonder if that's why I'm noticing it. Living in GA, and having only had the car since late June, certainly have not used the heat but I've heard the heat pump makes it more efficient to heat when it's cold. Having had my 2018 in IL for several winters, the old system ate battery to heat the car.

One difference I DO notice is that the ‘22/23 seems to be more efficient, and when combined with the larger battery, the range improvement is quite noticeable.

I’d say it has 30-40 more miles of useable range.