Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of FSD Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
When I got my 2018 LR Model 3 I opted for EAP but not FSD. Then a few months later they lowered the FSD price so I bought that. If I decide to buy a new Tesla and take advantage of the free FSD transfer to the new car, will my old car retain EAP? Or is it now all one package with FSD?

Interesting question. My 2018 M3 LR RWD is in the same position, more or less. Our car came with EAP, even through we hadn't ordered it. Later, when FSD went on sale, I checked, Tesla said we did have EAP, and bought FSD for the reduced price.

In any case, Tesla has said that any car undergoing the swap will be left with standard Autopilot, period. No EAP.

(Thought about doing the swap.. But between income limits and a LR M3, it would cost $25k. Not worth it; the M3 is running just fine, with maybe a 5% reduction in battery range since new.)

It more than likely will not transfer (the FSD). FSD has to be purchased at the time of car purchase to be eligible. Because my state uses the purchase price as the basis for your car registration fee, I bought FSD separately which unfortunately means I can't transfer it via the current offer.
Did someone at Tesla tell you that? Because Full Self-Driving Capability Transfers | Tesla Support only says it needs to be "purchased outright" (i.e., not a subscription). It doesn't say anything about when it needed to have been purchased.

Reactions: Watts_Up
When I got my 2018 LR Model 3 I opted for EAP but not FSD. Then a few months later they lowered the FSD price so I bought that. If I decide to buy a new Tesla and take advantage of the free FSD transfer to the new car, will my old car retain EAP? Or is it now all one package with FSD?
I am going to assume EAP should stay with the car and your FSD should be transferable. I would ask Tesla but that is my opinion.

I'd say no.

Think of it this way, EAP was a subset of FSD. Let's say it was ½ the cost, so you paid ½ a unit for EAP, then ½ a unit for FSD upgrade, so now you have a full unit of FSD. You want them to transfer the full unit of FSD, and also have ½ unit of EAP, so now you have 1 and ½ units? No.

So many answers to my question but nothing definitive. I can't call Tesla about it because the closest showroom doesn't have phone number anymore and it's two hours away. Tesla makes it so hard to talk to a person anymore.

I do know that years ago Tesla removed the wording Enhanced Auto Pilot from my cars Specs in the App, soon after I added FSD. Now it just says Full Self-Driving Capability and Autopilot.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
So many answers to my question but nothing definitive. I can't call Tesla about it because the closest showroom doesn't have phone number anymore and it's two hours away. Tesla makes it so hard to talk to a person anymore.

I do know that years ago Tesla removed the wording Enhanced Auto Pilot from my cars Specs in the App, soon after I added FSD. Now it just says Full Self-Driving Capability and Autopilot.
Um. I haven't done this often, but I've had good luck with Google. Along the lines of "Tesla Sales Center <Location> phone number". And, in fact, just went to Tesla.com, scrolled all the way to the bottom, clicked on "Contact", clicked on "Visit our Find Us" page, which gives a map. Clicked on Stores and Galleries. Zoomed in on the local Service Center, clicked on the icon for that, and up popped a window with phone listings. The first one was, "Store".

Yes, I found that the nearest Tesla store to me has a number but a real person doesn't answer it anymore. It's the same thing they did years ago with their service center, had a number but you couldn't actually talk to a real person. So my only option is to drive the 2 hours there, get my answers and then drive the 2 hours back home.

Resist, your new vehicle reverts back to basic autopilot. I just went through this when I traded in my 2019 Model 3LR. I had to ORDER the new MY with FSD at a cost of $15,000. After I signed the transfer contract the FSD was removed from my 2019 trade in. Upon delivery of the new car, the FSD of $15,000 was deleted. I had to have both cars on my Tesla app upon ordering and then on delivery the trade was removed. Hope this gives you some clarity.

Reactions: Resist
So many answers to my question but nothing definitive.
There is nothing more definitive than the language from the actual contract, which was given to you in post #4.

“If you transfer Full Self-Driving capability from your current vehicle to your new vehicle, your current vehicle will only have access to basic Autopilot features."

Resist, your new vehicle reverts back to basic autopilot. I just went through this when I traded in my 2019 Model 3LR. I had to ORDER the new MY with FSD at a cost of $15,000. After I signed the transfer contract the FSD was removed from my 2019 trade in. Upon delivery of the new car, the FSD of $15,000 was deleted. I had to have both cars on my Tesla app upon ordering and then on delivery the trade was removed. Hope this gives you some clarity.
How soon after purchase did your FSD show up in the new car? My friend still doesn’t have the FSD on his new S after about a month. He did everything right but no one at Tesla can tell him anything.

When I took delivery, the new car had FSD operational. No lag time as I ordered the car with FSD showing a cost of $15,000. After signing the transfer agreement I waited a week or so to pick up my MY. When paying at time of pickup the $15,000 was deducted.

by default 2023-08-28 at 7.36.56 PM.jpg

So, you could have bought FSD 5yrs ago, for full price. Instead you bought part of FSD, known as EAP. Later, you bought the other part of FSD, which was also called FSD.

Now, you're wondering if you can transfer just that partial subset of FSD, and still have EAP on your old car? It makes no sense. It'll only happen if there's some loophole. You bought FSD in 2 parts. That's what you'll transfer to your new car, not one of the 2 parts.

Rather than make everyone try to give you a "definitive answer", maybe use commonsense and realize the only way you get what you want is via a loophole.