Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto seat heaters too warm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I live in NH, 2018 Model 3 LR, about 60k miles on it. I've used the auto setting on the seat heaters since this was added in the software, maybe two years ago? It worked great, starting on highest setting and dropping as the car warmed up inside. As it got cold this winter, used my auto setting again and I'm finding that the seats don't drop from the highest setting fast enough....they get too hot. Then when the setting does automatically drop, it's still really hot and takes a long time for it to drop to the "one" setting. I assume it's a software bug, has anyone else noticed this?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hey folks, I live in NH, 2018 Model 3 LR, about 60k miles on it. I've used the auto setting on the seat heaters since this was added in the software, maybe two years ago? It worked great, starting on highest setting and dropping as the car warmed up inside. As it got cold this winter, used my auto setting again and I'm finding that the seats don't drop from the highest setting fast enough....they get too hot. Then when the setting does automatically drop, it's still really hot and takes a long time for it to drop to the "one" setting. I assume it's a software bug, has anyone else noticed this?

Could be issues with the NTC thermistor in seat cushion.
When my seat cushion heater was broken (because they replaced the seat occupied sensor for another issue) the 'auto' function was unusable because the backrest kept working but since it could not sense heat from the cushion it was on constant full heating mode. Manual mode at that time was no issue as long as you kept it on 1 bar.

For the rest my seat heating is always on 'auto' without any issue regarding SW version

I find auto not warm enough 🤷🏻‍♂️
ha!....love it.....oh well, maybe the sensor is screwed up.....but strange that I only use it in the winter, and this winter it's not operating the same. My experience over 5 years is they add stuff through software updates and screw other things up.....maybe an Apple Music update screwed up the seat heaters, wouldn't surprise me at all! The heater setting does reduce itself from 3 bars gradually to 1 bar, but the problem is it stays at 3 bars too long and it used to work perfectly. I think if the sensor was screwed it would stay at 3 bars all the time maybe??