Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it be due to warmer temperatures?
It is certainly possible, things are a little warmer lately. I think I've looked at usage on similar days before though. It definitely could be in my head, just wondering if anyone else sees anything. I could see them tweaking something small on the P cars to ensure we hit rated range and keeping quiet about it.

I also think that is just speculation, not fact. There is nothing the user can do to “balance” the S/X/3 pack. Just plug the car in when not using it, as a general practice, and don’t leave the charge level consistently set to something over 90%.

The original Roadster pack did benefit from a balancing procedure, though exactly how to do it has been debated for years. Perhaps some people assumed that because it worked for the Roadster it was useful for the S/X/3 packs.
The voltage curve of lithium batteries is very flat between 25% and 75%. Essentially all cells will read the same voltage. But at lower or upper levels one CAN see differences. At least the Roadster BMS used this and is why the Roadster needs to have the pack above 82% to balance. Cars that have spent long periods of time in storage mode have seen low range as the pack becomes unbalanced and your pack is limited to the weakest cell not the average. I say this as a 9 year Roadster owner who has closely watched his battery and as a person who has built a few EVs. So if you keep your charge level below 80% I do not see how the car could keep the pack in balance. So while an owner can’t do anything to specifically balance a pack you could likely stand in its way.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
Has anyone elses immersive sound settings disappeared with this update? I've also just lost any bass I had previously from the speakers. Not that there was a lot to begin with, but really noticeable now. I tried two button and screen power off methods and no dice. Not sure why Tesla can't get their speakers to work properly

It is certainly possible, things are a little warmer lately. I think I've looked at usage on similar days before though. It definitely could be in my head, just wondering if anyone else sees anything. I could see them tweaking something small on the P cars to ensure we hit rated range and keeping quiet about it.

Not a P (standard LR AWD), but I'm seeing almost 125-150 Wh/m less now that we've been able to stop using the heater due to waramer temps. It's crazy how much the heater sucks up

Reactions: diamond.g
I think it's not just the heater. Heater alone doesn't explain the cold temp loss. Perhaps our batteries are working harder to stay warm than we think.

It explains about 80-90% of it. I tried driving around with no heater when it was below freezing and I got close enough to warm temperature efficiency.

Edit: At or below 0F you get messages about the battery explicitly heating, but if it's any warmer than that the efficiency loss is almost entirely due to cabin heating.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Get in an IndyCar and pull 240 at Indianapolis....you'll s*it your Navy pants. Best part is that you are trained to handle the g's, so you get to remain fully conscious and aware of the fact that you just s*it your Navy pants. :)

P.s. thank you for your service.
good one :) but I'd say that any jet pilot would tell you that nothing scares you after landing on a carrier at night in the rain with the ship pitching, rolling, and yawing. He would probably fall asleep in an IndyCar. I woulld

Has anyone elses immersive sound settings disappeared with this update? I've also just lost any bass I had previously from the speakers. Not that there was a lot to begin with, but really noticeable now. I tried two button and screen power off methods and no dice. Not sure why Tesla can't get their speakers to work properly

Yes, I have the same problem and others have also reported it. I'm curious if you have a LR RWD Model 3 and if so has your range increased since mine hasn't. Just looking for any pattern on why some owners with LR RWD have not seen a range increase. One thought raised by some on the loss of immersive sound is for some unknown reason Tesla update thought the car was a standard model and didn't have the sound hardware to support immersive sound. Obviously a stretch:)

Last edited: