Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3, Screen Black out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model 3 (delivered Dec 2019) had the black screen for the first time today when getting in the car. Is the only fix to get a new screen under warranty from Tesla?

As an update for my situation, I believe this can just be a firmware issue. I had two black screens that required scroll-wheel resets of the vehicle while parked and two screen freezes while driving during my first year of ownership. But several firmware updates later and I haven't experienced either again.

I would say if it's persistent, contact a Service Center, but otherwise see if the next firmware update mends things.

My 2020 Model 3 (delivered Dec 2019) had the black screen for the first time today when getting in the car. Is the only fix to get a new screen under warranty from Tesla?
That only happened once last month, freaked me out. No screen but I was able to put it in gear, then it slowly booted up. Probably took 1 long minute. Hasn’t happened since.

Fred

I’ve had this issue since the 2020.12.5 update. With mine, the mobile app won’t wake the car, I go out and the door opens but screen is black. Only way to get it back is reboot.
If you have IOS, make sure your location settings in your Tesla App is “Always” on. Also ensure Bluetooth is also turned on in the Tesla App, this became a problem with IOS-13

FA16030E-2629-4C61-96DC-E9B6B1234648.jpeg

Reactions: GeertAerts
After the last two software updates, the M3 touchscreen has stayed black and unresponsive, even when I press the brake and touch the screen. I’ve rebooted the touchscreen both times and, eventually, that works. Some car controls continue to work such as the gears and climate control, but I don’t like having to worry about a black, unresponsive touch screen after every update, nor will I drive the car with a black touch screen. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just had my 2020 in for no screen when entering car and having to reboot to get it back. I have them 5-6 date/time stamps of when it happened and they said Tesla Engineers were aware of it and it would be addressed in a future update. I’m skeptical as this started after an update in March and we’ve had at least 5 updates since.

• Informative
Reactions: Jromf
Just had my 2020 in for no screen when entering car and having to reboot to get it back. I have them 5-6 date/time stamps of when it happened and they said Tesla Engineers were aware of it and it would be addressed in a future update. I’m skeptical as this started after an update in March and we’ve had at least 5 updates since.
Did they replace any chips or components or the screen?