Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen, Tesla Says Need New Computer ... Used Computers on eBay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walked out to my 2018 Tesla 3 one day and screen was black. None of the usual soft or hard reset helped. Checked 12V battery, and is good. Unplugged all USB cables. Reset power for both 12V and high voltage under back seat. Still black screen.

Tesla mobile service person came, was super friendly, tried to connect computer but nothing connected for diagnostics so he says it needs a NEW COMPUTER. Probably cost over 2,000 ... OUCH!

I am seeing on eBay computers for 400-800 ... Can they be used? How hard is the DIY computer replacement?

Thanks for your advice,

Robert

Walked out to my 2018 Tesla 3 one day and screen was black. None of the usual soft or hard reset helped. Checked 12V battery, and is good. Unplugged all USB cables. Reset power for both 12V and high voltage under back seat. Still black screen.

Tesla mobile service person came, was super friendly, tried to connect computer but nothing connected for diagnostics so he says it needs a NEW COMPUTER. Probably cost over 2,000 ... OUCH!

I am seeing on eBay computers for 400-800 ... Can they be used? How hard is the DIY computer replacement?

Thanks for your advice,

Robert

I suspect after you install the correct part, you will still need Service Center to program it. It needs to link with the VIN, purchased options (AP/EAP/FSD, premium connectivity...). It also needs to validate the security authentication so you can program your card/fob/phone in order to drive....