Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 P3 vs 2022 P3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a p85dl and recently test drove a brand new model three performance. I was really impressed by the model 3, handling, acceleration, and overall ride quality-it felt like a vault. Do you know if there is a difference between the first performance model 3s and the brand new ones in terms of ride quality etc?

I want to get into a model 3 performance but can only spend 45 to 50k, not 60.

Currently, the Performance upgrade doesn't include the performance suspension. I didn't realize this until I saw this video:
That's incorrect. Tesla softened the suspension. You can see the this in the parts catalog with the revisions. This is also the same for the MYP. PPL have been complaining that the stiff suspensions weren't compliant enough for their Lexus trained rear ends... and now what, we're gonna get complaints going the other way?

I own a p85dl and recently test drove a brand new model three performance. I was really impressed by the model 3, handling, acceleration, and overall ride quality-it felt like a vault. Do you know if there is a difference between the first performance model 3s and the brand new ones in terms of ride quality etc?

I want to get into a model 3 performance but can only spend 45 to 50k, not 60.

I have a 2018 Model 3P (born on date Nov 15th 2018, Picked up by me first week of Dec 2018). I also have a 2022 Model YP we purchased in march of this year for my wife.

Different vehicles I know, but similar enough. The 2022 Model Y is significantly quieter on the road. My 2018 model 3 is a pretty darn noisy car as far as wind / outside noise goes. Other than that, its been pretty good. The main portion of the warranty just expired, and the things I had done under warranty to the vehicle were things like the upper control arms, recall for the wire harness for the backup camera and replacing the spoiler on the rear decklid (multiple times and spoilers on that one).

The earlier models are going to have an older radar module (that may not be used), ultrasonic sensors, the frunk is a slightly different shape and has clips in it for bags (mine does anyway), and a stiffer ride (which I like).

A 2022 is likely to have a ryzen media processor (which is noticeable when you compare access times between ryzen and atom processor for things on the screen side by side, but not so much outside that scenario), and might have double glazed glass for the rear windows, being quieter on the road.

If I were buying right now, I think I would want a 2022 that had the ryzen processor but still had the ultrasonic sensors and possibly the stiffer suspension.

Reactions: tubaprde
That's incorrect. Tesla softened the suspension. You can see the this in the parts catalog with the revisions. This is also the same for the MYP. PPL have been complaining that the stiff suspensions weren't compliant enough for their Lexus trained rear ends... and now what, we're gonna get complaints going the other way?

Tesla doesn't highlight the suspension being part of the performance package for the 3 anymore while they still do for the y. And according to the video, they seem to notice the difference between a model year that has the suspension vs a newer model that doesn't. Just want to point out the difference bc OP asked if there was a difference...apparently yes if you are comparing the 2019 with PUP vs 2023 that only comes with PUP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 4.45.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 4.45.46 PM.png
    532.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 4.45.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 4.45.13 PM.png
    507.2 KB · Views: 36
wow ok thanks, a lot to chew on here. I guess any model 3's infotainment will be light years faster vs. my 2014 S, so that I don't care about. the 2022 model 3 i test drove (with 20s) was pretty darn quiet and soaked up the potholes on the road pretty well, maybe even better than my P85D with 19"....