Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just test drove a highland in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone interested. And I think everyone ought to be interested. I was messing with my adjustable tein shocks and I tried 15/16 soft in the front and 12 slightly stiffer in the rear and my old 2018 feels similar to the highland in terms of damping. Noise insulation is still lacking but I think this mod is awesome for anyone wanting to keep their older cars.

I just saw the new Model 3 yesterday and noticed a vastly improved build quality. This is very exciting. They kept encouraging me to test drive it, but I am not in the market right now. Apparently it's much better. There is a new feature that has a large pin in the door that goes into the frame to stiffen the chassis and it makes all the difference in handling and noise.

I also saw the Cybertruck and it is much better looking in person, for what it's worth.

How about the sound system? I recall them saying that they added a whole bunch of bass? I'm very happy with my M3P, but sometimes it does rattle at very deep bass notes.

It sounded to me like the dual subs certainly made the bass louder, but it's not any higher quality. There's plenty of that 50hz punch, but it's still pretty lacking when it comes to the deeper notes. Model S does better in this regard, although not by a ton.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Car-Turning-Signal-Hand-Method.jpg
Guess I will go back to that............

Lots of thoughts.
The door thunk, sound insulation and softer ride quality are amazing improvements. I was mentally expecting good improvements but was still impressed. It's like a civic to a Toyota Avalon. Almost felt like magic. BUT there is a considerable loss of steering feel and response. The car is very capable but felt like a high tech appliance to me. Lacking character. I think it will be a home run for 90% of buyers who just want a city commuter. But for sporty buyers I would say buy used. I'm still waiting to try the highland performance which I'm sure will be the goat. For comparison I'd say a stock 2018 3 performance supension is a 1 for harshness. Adding tein shocks makes it a 6-7. Highland on 18" wheels a 10.

------

Good write up. We own a 2019 Tent Build Model 3 SR+ with a performance rear drive unit on 19-inch wheels. Drove a 24 "Highland" on 19's. This particular car had a misalignment of the left front (driver's door) that required a couple of tries to get latched. Everything else lined up fine and the other highlands were all fine. Maybe a large person bent the hinge down (it happens on all cars) or someone had abused it.

In summary, the new Model 3 is the W210 E Class with better steering and power. It is your favorite most comfortable thing you own. It is more refined than anything I have driven since all cars started getting heavier and firmer.

+ The refinement is really, REALLY good
+ Like the slightly smaller steering wheel
+ Seems the sightlines are slightly better (lower cowl height?)
+ Very quiet
+ LFP battery (my 67,000 mile SR+ never saw 240, was 220 when new and around 204 for the last 20,000 miles... don't really care)
+ I like the steering wheel-mounted turn signals

- Slower, like *WAY* slower. Betting 0 to 60 down by a second or slightly more. For those with an SR do you recall how the car cuts power with steering wheel angle for stability? The cut-power is all the Highland has at any point. The Tesla rep riding shotgun thought maybe we had left the car in "chill." But nope, it is slow.
- Feels heavier (is heavier)
- Steering slightly numb (not terrible, but not sporty anymore)

The two cars are different enough that I do not consider the 24 a replacement for my 2019. Maybe the 24 "performance" will be a suitable replacement. The 2019 M3 SR is not a "sports car" in any real sense, but damn it makes for a good simulation of a real performance car. I would consider a 2019 SR to be the best starting point for a build of any sort.

I think the SWEET SPOT will be a Model Y Highland. Comfortable and larger. Forget about being sporty in an SUV. It will be a Luxury-Utility Vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MikeChicago