Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 tesla model x long range ESA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I currently have a 2019 long range model x 100d that is about to out of warranty.

After discussing to SC regarding ESA , I found out there are significant limitations in terms of ESA.

For those who have purchased on ESA; how was it? Would you recommend it?

Thanks

I have it with my 2018 MX, and have had some work done under warranty with no issues. It also included a free towing to the service center with an MCU2 failure. Unfortunately they said it didn't cover the MCU2 as the car was shipped with MCU1 and I upgraded to MCU2. Only covers what was shipped with it. If I had XCARE it would have covered it. I would check with them to see the cost difference. With ESA you pay $200 per issue.

Reactions: XCare EV
I have it with my 2018 MX, and have had some work done under warranty with no issues. It also included a free towing to the service center with an MCU2 failure. Unfortunately they said it didn't cover the MCU2 as the car was shipped with MCU1 and I upgraded to MCU2. Only covers what was shipped with it. If I had XCARE it would have covered it. I would check with them to see the cost difference. With ESA you pay $200 per issue.
Thanks for the shout out, and yes any equipment (original or upgrade) that Tesla installs on your vehicle is covered. One minor correction, the new Tesla ESA deductible is only $100, just like XCare, but they limit the coverage to 2 years/25k miles extension of the factory warranty.

I want to make sure I understand correctly. Tesla upgraded your MCU at your cost, but then refuses to cover it under the extended warranty, even though you had the warranty when they did the install. Is that correct? Because it sure seems wrong.

By the way, I had a well connector fail. They told me sorry it only has a 1-year warranty. But I looked in the paperwork when I bought it and it was 4 years at that time. I had to tell them that, show them the proof on the paperwork, and then they did send me a replacement for no charge. Maybe you should push them on this.

I want to make sure I understand correctly. Tesla upgraded your MCU at your cost, but then refuses to cover it under the extended warranty, even though you had the warranty when they did the install. Is that correct? Because it sure seems wrong.
Correct. They said it only had a 1 year warranty and I was at 2 or more years. I find it a lame excuse, since the MCU1 would have been covered, and the car was not drivable without it. It's not like it was a non-essential add-on. If my delivery was a month later in 2018, it would have had MCU2 from the factory. My other problem is I was leaving for 4 months and had to turn it over to my son-in-law to pick up. It's something I may take to arbitration. It is just a shame that the MCU1 sucked so bad, and to get full utilization of the car and FSD you have to pay to upgrade to MCU2, but then they don't consider it part of the car. It is fixed now but I won't get to see it until October. :-(

Correct. They said it only had a 1 year warranty and I was at 2 or more years. I find it a lame excuse, since the MCU1 would have been covered, and the car was not drivable without it. It's not like it was a non-essential add-on. If my delivery was a month later in 2018, it would have had MCU2 from the factory. My other problem is I was leaving for 4 months and had to turn it over to my son-in-law to pick up. It's something I may take to arbitration. It is just a shame that the MCU1 sucked so bad, and to get full utilization of the car and FSD you have to pay to upgrade to MCU2, but then they don't consider it part of the car. It is fixed now but I won't get to see it until October. :-(

I still believe that it should be covered. The whole point of an extended warranty is too, well, extend the warranty! On the other hand, it's a quality of life thing. Is it really worth bringing a miserable legal process into your life just to get that cash back from Tesla?

We had such an issue with them, I worked with our state's attorney generals office for almost a full year. It bounced from us to the AG's office to Tesla and back and forth a number of times. They finally said "we believe you're right but there's no absolute proo"., it's down to an unrecorded promise in a phone call, but with follow-up action that showed that what I said the phone call contained was true. Tesla corporate refused to admit it, and simply stonewalled me until finally I gave up. My wife and I decided that we didn't want to ruin our shiny new retirement with a multi-year process it might net us, what, 50k? And that's if we were lucky.

That amount would, not surprisingly, make a big difference in our lives. But Elon's new legal assault team has about as much emotional fortitude as he does.

And, I still bought another tesla! Man, they make great cars, just wish they were a great company.

Reactions: walla2
I still believe that it should be covered. The whole point of an extended warranty is too, well, extend the warranty! On the other hand, it's a quality of life thing. Is it really worth bringing a miserable legal process into your life just to get that cash back from Tesla?
FWIW, it is not really a warranty extension. It is called an Extended Service Agreement

ESA is interesting. I brought my 2019 X in for a defective rear gate closure. The service center charged the deductible but didn't address the issue at all. I had to have a separate mobile service setup to attempt to repair. Still not working properly. Now a third visit is scheduled and they want to recharge the deductible again for the same problem.

It seems like a scam more than a service agreement. We will take the deductible, not do any work, and then charge again for potentially not doing any work again. Rinse and repeat.

ESA is interesting. I brought my 2019 X in for a defective rear gate closure. The service center charged the deductible but didn't address the issue at all. I had to have a separate mobile service setup to attempt to repair. Still not working properly. Now a third visit is scheduled and they want to recharge the deductible again for the same problem.

It seems like a scam more than a service agreement. We will take the deductible, not do any work, and then charge again for potentially not doing any work again. Rinse and repeat.
Just tell them when you take the car back. Same ticket, not fixed yet. I am sure they will not charge you twice. You just have to bring it to their attention.

Absou
Just tell them when you take the car back. Same ticket, not fixed yet. I am sure they will not charge you twice. You just have to bring it to their attention.
Lol. They are telling me the exact opposite in the text messages in the app. They warrant parts 1 year and since they only replaced one part (that didn't fix the issue), the only part covered by the 1 year warranty and the prior visit ESA deductible is the part replaced and a new "visit" requires another deductible. Additionally, my contracted deductible is $100. They insist I must pay $200 per visit despite it being in ink. The ESA and application of the ESA is interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Absou

Lol. They are telling me the exact opposite in the text messages in the app. They warrant parts 1 year and since they only replaced one part (that didn't fix the issue), the only part covered by the 1 year warranty and the prior visit ESA deductible is the part replaced and a new "visit" requires another deductible. Additionally, my contracted deductible is $100. They insist I must pay $200 per visit despite it being in ink. The ESA and application of the ESA is interesting.

Started as a fan of Tesla in 2009. Have owned a couple of them. Still driving an X. I am considering going to court against Tesla as well. We'll probably keep it as small claims court, limit 10,000, just simply because I don't want to hassle with anything else.

The company, unfortunately, as become as bad as any other company. You cannot trust them. Additionally they're constantly hiring new people, none of whom have the mission in mind. I'm all for private business, but these guys are taking the idea of profitability to an absurd level. It's time to pay the piper.

Absou

You neglected to mention it was over a year later. I am sure you will have to pay again.

I was going to buy an ESA for my X that the warranty ends soon but several local Tesla employees told me not to as it was not worth it 🤷‍♀️
Check XCare out for an extended warranty. We mirror the Tesla ESA with greater options and variability. We even offer payment plans. Keep in mind there is a 30 day wait period before the warranty is active. Check out our website and get a fast quote- XCare EV Protection

- Team XCare