Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2019 to latest Model 3 - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - pondering whether or not it's worth considering trading in my Sept 2019 Model 3 LR (16k miles) for the latest version. My 3 is in fine condition other than a couple of kerb rashes on the wheels :rolleyes: and it has lifetime premium connectivity. Trade in value seems reasonable just now hence the question. I'd really like to hear from anyone who has made this change and whether or not they found it worthwhile - heat pump efficiency impact on range, double glazed glass impact on wind/road noise etc? I'd like to understand if there is any real benefit in changing. I could consider a Model Y instead, might be better for travelling with the dog, although he's happy enough in the back seat of the 3.

I traded a Sep-20 for a Sep-21 and it's a much better car because 1) there is no wind noise with double glazed windows, 2) more efficient in the winter with heat pump, 3) better matrix style headlights, 4) nicer centre consul, 5) boom box features and an 6) auto boot, to boot! On top of that, 6) you will have a longer warranty too... In my case the upgrade cost ~ £1.5K
So 6 upgrades, that's only £250/upgrade! And the new car has gone up in value since I've owned it...

Last edited:
I traded a Sep-20 for a Sep-21 and it's a much better car because 1) there is no wind noise with double glazed windows, 2) more efficient in the winter with heat pump, 3) better matrix style headlights, 4) nicer centre consul, 5) boom box features and an 6) auto boot, to boot! On top of that, 6) you will have a longer warranty too... In my case the upgrade cost ~ £1.5K
So 6 upgrades, that's only £250/upgrade!

Interesting, thanks.

I'm very interested in the wind noise reduction, I do find the Model 3 quite a noisy ride on the motorway, my diesel Audi A4 Avant was actually quieter despite the ICE grumbling away. Didn't realise the headlights were improved - are they better in terms of lighting the road?

Hi all - pondering whether or not it's worth considering trading in my Sept 2019 Model 3 LR (16k miles) for the latest version. My 3 is in fine condition other than a couple of kerb rashes on the wheels :rolleyes: and it has lifetime premium connectivity. Trade in value seems reasonable just now hence the question. I'd really like to hear from anyone who has made this change and whether or not they found it worthwhile - heat pump efficiency impact on range, double glazed glass impact on wind/road noise etc? I'd like to understand if there is any real benefit in changing. I could consider a Model Y instead, might be better for travelling with the dog, although he's happy enough in the back seat of the 3.
And if I was you and I had a choice between the 2019 or the latest version, I'd take the latest version any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Yep, much brighter with a better spread, both upward and sideways...

Yep, much brighter with a better spread, both upward and sideways...
What you didn't mention is that the current M3 is just a much better car in every way. I have owned the 2019M3P-, a 2020 M3LR and a 2021 LR. This one , the first built in China is like buying a BMW rather than a ford! The build is superb, it is quieter, bigger range, more comfortable, has the auto boot, the heat pump....what a difference and a paint job to be proud of. My only hope is that the MY I have ordered also comes from CHINA , and not Berlin! You should definitely trade up, look what you get and for practically no extra money! Unless of course you are one of these EV zealots who want to run their Tesla for 20 years to save the planet?

Interesting, thanks.

I'm very interested in the wind noise reduction, I do find the Model 3 quite a noisy ride on the motorway, my diesel Audi A4 Avant was actually quieter despite the ICE grumbling away. Didn't realise the headlights were improved - are they better in terms of lighting the road?
I would test drive one first, and see for yourself whether the wind noise is considerably or even noticably better. RSymons did a video that suggested that there was no perceptible difference, but it's possible every car is different.

A price delta of £1.5k would make it a no brainer, but just because owners of the newer car say it's the best thing ever - you'll need to consider what price delta is acceptable to you.

Reactions: fantasmagorica
I would test drive one first, and see for yourself whether the wind noise is considerably or even noticably better. RSymons did a video that suggested that there was no perceptible difference, but it's possible every car is different.

A price delta of £1.5k would make it a no brainer, but just because owners of the newer car say it's the best thing ever - you'll need to consider what price delta is acceptable to you.

Yep,I saw that video today actually.

The delta in price looks more like £8-9k so not inconsiderable. £43k trade in vs £51-52k new depending on colour choice.

I’ll do a test drive when Bristol gets a Model Y in. Will test both that and the new Model 3.

I'm trading in my 2019 LR for a new one in March hopefully. For me the new features would be in the 'nice to have' category rather than 'essential'. My reasons for switching :-

• The PX price is surprising, and I'm suspicious that it will drop as 3 year leases are up and the cars get nearer the end of warranty, and the supply issues in the rest of the industry subside. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can't see a downside as I'll still have a newer Tesla. Feels like an opportunity I might miss if I wait.
  • I have a feeling that the old Intel chips in the MCU will become a legacy rather quickly, and I like new updates
  • Going to save replacing the tyres, so that's an extra saving
  • I can't see 4680 batteried Model 3 coming out of Berlin for a while.
  • Don't want a Y
It'll be a shame to pay for Premium Connectivity, hard to justify £10 a month, might see if I can manage without most months. I'll also trade down from FSD to AEP, but clearly there's no significant difference today. Watch them release some killer reason for FSD only as soon as I trade

I'm trading in my 2019 LR for a new one in March hopefully. For me the new features would be in the 'nice to have' category rather than 'essential'. My reasons for switching :-

• The PX price is surprising, and I'm suspicious that it will drop as 3 year leases are up and the cars get nearer the end of warranty, and the supply issues in the rest of the industry subside. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can't see a downside as I'll still have a newer Tesla. Feels like an opportunity I might miss if I wait.
  • I have a feeling that the old Intel chips in the MCU will become a legacy rather quickly, and I like new updates
  • Don't want a Y
It'll be a shame to pay for Premium Connectivity, hard to justify £10 a month, might see if I can manage without most months. I'll also trade down from FSD to AEP, but clearly there's no significant difference today. Watch them release some killer reason for FSD only as soon as I trade
You will not regret your decision, I've had 3 now, no service costs , extends the warranty each time, used to get 1000 free miles each time and obviously a load of new toys each time. As long as trade ins remain great why wouldn't everyone do it? Agree getting 4680s anytime soon RHD is very unlikely!

• Don't want a Y
All good points.

The delta for me to get back into another M3P would be ~£14k if I were to get FSD again, so even if I were to just get EAP I’d still be paying quite a lot.

LR and SR+ owners definitely in a better position to get the newer model in that respect.

I’ve done 30k miles so the warranty would be up this year for me, the trade price was good so I could get the latest 3/Y and I think the extra refinements would be worth it

Reactions: roadcred
This thread has temped me to get a trade in quote on my 2019 LR, which is £42.4k - but to get the equivalent model new is £52.6k. My car sounds similar to the initial poster. I'd like the enhanced new version and to start my warranty again but at £10k I'm not sure it is worth it. Although £4k per year depreciation is great for such a car, for me it is still a big outlay to renew a perfectly usable and reliable, if a bit noisy, car.

I could go to the SR+ at £45.6k to get similar usable range to my current car, but I think I'd notice the performance difference. :(

Looks like I've missed the peak 2nd hand prices, so will just keep a watch on the continuous improvements Tesla are making until I feel the new model justifies the refresh cost at that time... and have to hope the current car doesn't plummet in value at 3 years old.

Interesting thread though, good points made.

Reactions: Doudeau
This thread has temped me to get a trade in quote on my 2019 LR, which is £42.4k - but to get the equivalent model new is £52.6k. My car sounds similar to the initial poster. I'd like the enhanced new version and to start my warranty again but at £10k I'm not sure it is worth it. Although £4k per year depreciation is great for such a car, for me it is still a big outlay to renew a perfectly usable and reliable, if a bit noisy, car.

I could go to the SR+ at £45.6k to get similar usable range to my current car, but I think I'd notice the performance difference. :(

Looks like I've missed the peak 2nd hand prices, so will just keep a watch on the continuous improvements Tesla are making until I feel the new model justifies the refresh cost at that time... and have to hope the current car doesn't plummet in value at 3 years old.

Interesting thread though, good points made.
What's your mileage? I'm offered £45,800 at 22K miles. Lockdown saved loads of miles, and I guess I'm cashing in on that.