Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.48.26 autopilot left turns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen videos of this in the past, but every time I’ve tested it (give it a bit of time in the left turn) I ultimately have to take over because it’s so erratic and unsure (and the visualization shows this (blue lane markings jerk all over the place)

My friend's car on 2020.48.26 took a left turn when the arrow turned green, and a car was in front of it. He is not on FSD beta, and doesn't even have FSD. First time I heard of left turns outside of FSD beta. Is this new?

It's not new but it is an accident. AP did not do it on purpose so it won't be reliable. Basically, some intersections have lane lines through the turn plus there was a car in front. So AP was basically just doing lane keeping and car following which happened to coincide with a somewhat good left turn. It is not the same as FSD Beta where the car is actually predicting the intersection and doing the turn on its own and can do the turn with no lead car.

• Informative
Reactions: Lubestaff
I had this happen almost a year ago. I was in the middle of 3 turning lanes with lots of traffic. Probably just thought its was following the lanes and not actually turning.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 5.08.41 PM.png

I noticed this and can do it fairly repeatedly when I have NOA on and exit the freeway to a local street. If I'm the lead car, it's a hit or miss unless there are clearly marked lines on the left turn lane(s). It tends to perform and complete the left turn better when there is a lead car and clearly painted lines turning through the intersection. It doesn't always blare the emergency take over warnings and will sometimes have the cautionary "be prepared to assist" beeping tones and continue on the local road in autopilot.