Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Long Range - 350 miles full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if I'm a newb, as this is my first Tesla and I'm still trying to grasp everything I need to know.

I just purchased a 2020 Long Range w/ about 31K miles on it (I know, a bit high), and when I charge completely, it says my range is 350 miles.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have. Is there such a thing as a 2020 Long Range vs 2020 Long Range Plus? Should I have a higher range with what I have or could that be due to battery degradation?

I guess that would make some sense, but should I have 350 mi as the range? Is that a guess based on past driving?

Also, I came across this thread Model S Long Range Plus Tracker
It looks like some people here were actually upgraded to Long Range Plus. Is that an actual thing? How could I go about doing that if it is possible? I have all software updates already. Is this a separate update that could be done? Would I have to contact Tesla for this?

Tesla continuously improves their cars, even during the model year. The Model S Long Range Plus has a 103.9-kWh battery, slightly more than the 100.0 kWh of its predecessor. Also, here is the word from Tesla Model S Long Range Plus: Building the First 400-Mile Electric Vehicle. I also remember reading the Long Range Plus about May, 2020, increased high voltage battery wiring and other components to allow for the full 250KW Version 3 Superchargers that began to be installed in early 2020. It would be difficult to "upgrade" your car. Degradation of the battery is very dependent on many factors, continuous use of Superchargers, charging the battery to 100% and discharging to below 10%. Normal degradation should average about 1% every 20,000 miles. Tesla guarantees that your battery will retain a 75% charge during the 8 year battery warranty. Here is Tesla on battery range and how to maximize it: Range Tips

1/20 is the build date. Definitely Long Range on screen and mobile app.

I contacted support, they said that it requires a service call, but should be able to be upgraded. They said it should increase range by at least 10%. Appointment is a couple of weeks out. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Ok, a little more info on my car. It doesn’t have 21 in wheels, it has 19. I was looking at car info on Teslas website and originally the car came with 21 in wheels but when I bought used there were 19 in rims on it.

I selected the correct wheel config on the service screen, but still only have 350 mile range when full. Also, support contacted me back and said my build does not have the correct hardware for the Long Range Plus upgrade.

I had assumed that I should be somewhere around 370 when full. Is this due to degradation already (31k miles)? I thought even 2019 long ranges were rated at > 370 mi.

Ok, a little more info on my car. It doesn’t have 21 in wheels, it has 19. I was looking at car info on Teslas website and originally the car came with 21 in wheels but when I bought used there were 19 in rims on it.

I selected the correct wheel config on the service screen, but still only have 350 mile range when full. Also, support contacted me back and said my build does not have the correct hardware for the Long Range Plus upgrade.

I had assumed that I should be somewhere around 370 when full. Is this due to degradation already (31k miles)? I thought even 2019 long ranges were rated at > 370 mi.
20 miles degradation wouldn’t be something out of place. Batteries degrade the most first two years. Also in car BMS known for miscalibration you most likely have higher range but need to re calibrate your bms. Read about that on forum if you search on the subject.

I am not sure if you got a closure on this range issue. I have a 2020 Model x long range plus on CarMax on hold and yet to see the vehicle. It was a early 2020 build (I think April 2020). I noticed on many sites that the early 2020 builds only had the 350 mile range whereas the very late 2020 builds (all long range pluses) had the 371 rates miles. I am not sure if that helps much...

I am not sure if you got a closure on this range issue. I have a 2020 Model x long range plus on CarMax on hold and yet to see the vehicle. It was a early 2020 build (I think April 2020). I noticed on many sites that the early 2020 builds only had the 350 mile range whereas the very late 2020 builds (all long range pluses) had the 371 rates miles. I am not sure if that helps much...
sorry - all of what I said applies to the Model X - Without proper "documentation" Tesla does make buying their used cars a bit more tricky.

There are actually 3 LR models that were sold from 2018-2020. This is my understanding:

LR 335 mile
LR+ 350 mile Raven F -G battery (2019-7/2020) - yours, F or G battery
LR+ 371 mile (8/20-12/20) -H battery
LR refresh 350 (10/21- today) fewer cells to bring pack back below 100 kWh since it had crept up to 104 kWh with improved chemistry

No way, prove it.
This is the published EPA Range, On the sticker and on the website. Published June 15, 2020 by Tesla: "Starting today, all North American Model S Long Range Plus vehicles have an official EPA-rated range of 402 miles, representing a nearly 20% increase in range when compared to a 2019 Model S 100D with the same battery pack design." 400 miles was my range-anxiety reducing number. When Tesla met that number, I ordered.

Reactions: ucmndd