Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 LR AWD Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is exterme - because it's not all depreciation!

Someone who is smart knows you got a $4k tax credit they can no longer take.
And Tesla cut the price last night.

So no, it's not all depreciation - but there are multiple factors devaluing your "new' car.

No Christmas card for Elon this year......

I am taking the trade in offer at Vroom. I definitely don’t blame Tesla or anyone who works there for this? Obviously I don’t send Christmas cards to corporations, but I don’t feel any less enthusiastic for them or don’t hope they continue to succeed like they have? This has 0 to do with Tesla - they did nothing wrong in my eyes, just a bad business decision on my side, no one else’s.

In the end taking the offer with Vroom lead to me only being out the destination fee + taxes (8.5% or so).

Chris - agreed.

I think you're giving them a pass though. THIS is why other manufacturers do rebates/incentives, etc. Tesla just chops MSRP, which instantly reduces their current owners equity in the car as well. That kinda sucks!

They also compete with you on resale (via selling used cars as well) and they upgrade almost every used car .....

That's tough to compete with, and a definite change for the buying public .....

I think you're giving them a pass though. THIS is why other manufacturers do rebates/incentives, etc. Tesla just chops MSRP, which instantly reduces their current owners equity in the car as well. That kinda sucks!
I don’t see it as being that different as a reduction in the MSRP or the addition of a rebate can both have an impact on used values. Let’s say I had a used 2020 Lexus RX350 for sale and comparably equipped new ones at the time were typically selling for $41,900. I therefore had mine priced at $39,900 but then suppose Lexus brought out a new or additional $3k rebate and those new ones are now selling for $38,900. My used one is therefore now worth less.

I don’t see it as being that different as a reduction in the MSRP or the addition of a rebate can both have an impact on used values. Let’s say I had a used 2020 Lexus RX350 for sale and comparably equipped new ones at the time were typically selling for $41,900. I therefore had mine priced at $39,900 but then suppose Lexus brought out a new or additional $3k rebate and those new ones are now selling for $38,900. My used one is therefore now worth less.

I guess my reply here would be that the incentives/rebates are usually limited time only. Thus, the MSRP is still the MSRP .... and thus I've never really thought rebates/incentives in relation to the price of the same model on the used market.

Tesla feels different in that the change is permanent.

But I also see your point - and think that is also valid.

I am taking the trade in offer at Vroom. I definitely don’t blame Tesla or anyone who works there for this? Obviously I don’t send Christmas cards to corporations, but I don’t feel any less enthusiastic for them or don’t hope they continue to succeed like they have? This has 0 to do with Tesla - they did nothing wrong in my eyes, just a bad business decision on my side, no one else’s.

In the end taking the offer with Vroom lead to me only being out the destination fee + taxes (8.5% or so).

I'm glad you were able to secure vROOM offer as price is only going down in current economy, Whatever situation you are in, I hope it is situational, and you will bounce back and get into a new Tesla soon. Good Luck!!