Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid rear tire wear - going after Michelin again - share your experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UltimatePhotoEditor_2024_03_02_07_32_57.png

Reactions: Sam1
He offered that he has seen this for years. Most recently in a customer's 911 Turbo. Same issue. He says what kills the tires on the inside edges is squatting under acceleration. An independent squats and toe moves outward under acceleration. A significant toe out condition combined with the heavy peripheral loading of acceleration and there's the wear. He said the best I can do is set them toe in at the ride height I normally ride at (low) that way they do not ever go toe out.

He offered that he has seen this for years. Most recently in a customer's 911 Turbo. Same issue. He says what kills the tires on the inside edges is squatting under acceleration. An independent squats and toe moves outward under acceleration. A significant toe out condition combined with the heavy peripheral loading of acceleration and there's the wear. He said the best I can do is set them toe in at the ride height I normally ride at (low) that way they do not ever go toe out.
Wait he's setting them to toe out? Yeah that's the problem. Official spec is .05 - .35 toe *in* for non-track pack, and .15 - .25 for track pack

This car is going toe out when you launch it. You can easily record the movement. Before I added rear camber arms, the flex was pretty bad under load. the 0.15 toe in I have is on a very stiff suspension and we kinda guesstimate it to end up at 0 or barely positive toe under load. It no longer goes into toe out per the videos.

The rep I was working with at Unplugged was surprised to see how much toe out occurs under load with the OEM setup, it's pretty wild. But also understandable because of the torque ramp rate we see with the plaid.

On your photo of the car on the rack, are you sure it's in low? It may be the angle of the photo, but your rocker panel looks pretty high. Was curious if maybe someone raised the suspension to get it up the ramps on the rack and didn't lower it back down - or if it was set to auto-raise and not changed back.

Reactions: HighPotential
On your photo of the car on the rack, are you sure it's in low? It may be the angle of the photo, but your rocker panel looks pretty high. Was curious if maybe someone raised the suspension to get it up the ramps on the rack and didn't lower it back down - or if it was set to auto-raise and not changed back.
Perhaps in jack mode?