Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X => 2024 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a result of my 2020 MX being totaled in a no injury rear end collision, I ended up with a new 2024 MX (video cameras with March '24 manufacture) far sooner than I had planned. My third Tesla when you include my 2013 MS60. I am generally pleased with the new MX, but quite surprised at how different it is from my prior MX, not always for the better. They were both ordered with precisely the same features and accessories.

I have experienced several disappointments in comparison to the older MX and hope someone might help:

1. May seem trivial, but it's a big deal in my daily use around urban Atlanta. The cargo area under the rear trunk was always really helpful in my 2020MX, particularly since the lid would stay put in the upright storage position for groceries and other small items. This is particularly useful since the falcon doors, an amusing and eye catching feature, are a pain for everyday usage such as placing several grocery bags to go home after a quick run to the store. The 2024 lid simply will not stay in place and you either have to manually carefully put it in place, or it quickly flops all around in the back if you drive off with it in the minimally secure upright position. I never used the old lid in the upright position if there was anything in the upper trunk, but that was rarely the case for daily use, and the lower lid stayed upright most of the time leaving me a nice trunk for small items. The frunk is too clumsy to open and close for frequent use, so the only quick storage in an urban parking lot is the lower trunk if you can keep the lid upright. Any ideas for this problem? Am I alone?

2. I live in a high rise and park my 2024MX in an enclosed garage reserved space. Same spot every time. There is plenty of overhead room for the falcon doors and the trunk to fully open. I have gone through the process of setting these three doors to fully open in this specific location: open the door => force full open by continuing to press the opening button till they reach full extension => release and hold the open button once again till you hear a confirming single 'beep'. But these three doors do not remember the full extension, unlike my 2020MX which never forgot the fully open settings. When fully extended these doors still have ~12 inches of vertical clearance. I am weary of bumping my head on the not fully extended doors and trunk! What has changed?

3. A complaint: The horizontal screen in the middle of dashboard has ~20% of the screen obscured by the steering wheel. I really miss my vertically oriented 2020MX screen which I could view and operate at any time without difficulty. I am 6' tall and not overweight, but somehow operating the screen for media or whatever while driving is a major distraction as I fumble to find the correct setting or move the particular setting to the right side of the screen to miss the steering wheel obscured part. I also find the pressure required for the touch screen is greater and frequently while driving I have to push the screen several times to effect the result. I wonder if there is a setting to increase the font size of all the buttons on the screen? Scrolling through various media options while driving is a real hazard, and I usually pull over to the side to do this, a real pain. This routine function space should be less distracting to operate.

4. I always found the large space on the left of the dash screen useful to program for various functions. Apparently this is now lost, and the only thing to appear in the large space on the left is the navigation information if you are navigating to a specific location. If not, it just stays empty. I previously used this for entertainment, clock, energy consumption etc. Am I missing something?

5. I have been astounded at how many rattles and squeaks are in this vehicle. I have tried to get the Atlanta service center to help, but appointments are weeks away, and we have yet found a mutually agreeable time since they assert they will likely keep the vehicle for a week to ten days. I will persevere for resolution. My wife drives a 2012 Lexus 460 we purchased new, and it has always been rock solid without a squeak or rattle. Can't Tesla hire away a Toyota/Lexus engineer to show them how to build a solid car without squeaks or rattles?

6. Like legions of other Tesla owners, past and future, I yearn for Apple Car Play in my car. Just a complaint, I know it is not to be.

I hope someone can help with several of these issues as I drive through 2500 miles since delivery in mid April.

Thanks!

I bought a 2023 model S in December and feel many of the same things as you compared to my 2017 model X, which I still have.

I feel like they have made the instrument cluster screen behind the steering wheel almost pointless - how I miss the customizable options on both sides of it. Now there is just wasted space.

For the center screen, not being able to see the left corner is just bizarre - who thought that was ok? And while it is a nice big wonderful screen, it is poorly utilized. I pull up the energy screen and it blocks everything. Why can’t it be sized smaller? Why doesn’t it have the consumption tab like all the other horizontal screen cars? Why can’t I get to any Wh/mile info without pulling up Trips in the main menu (which voice command gets wrong a disturbingly large percentage of the time.)

I also am disappointed in ease of using the rear well area. Interesting that they un-improved that in the X as well as the S.

The one thing I don’t have the same complaint about is squeaks and rattles. My new S is a pleasure on long trips, which is what we bought it for. Smooth and quiet.

Reactions: Art VandeIay