Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure this has been asked before. I have no experience driving one, wondering if a second hand 2020 model x is worth the switch from my 22 model Y.
I’ve been considering swapping to the new Q8 etron as I’m missing some of that ‘high end’ feel, better comfort, lower cabin noise etc.
wondering if a 2020 model x would satisfy that whilst also been a fair bit cheaper than the q8?
Any thoughts?

We recently switched from a 2022 Model Y to a 2019 Model X. We just couldn't put up with the terrible ride quality in the MY anymore. We also have a 2021 GR Supra 3.0l twin turbo which offers a far more comfortable ride than the Model Y. We did consider getting a 2023 Model Y as we like every other aspect of the Model Y, and we'd heard it rumored that the suspension had been mildly improved. Telsa kindly loaned us a 2023 model for 24 hours, and we could tell no difference. In raising this with the Telsa team, they said the Chinese models haven't changed, which supported why we felt no difference.

We're really enjoying the Model X. There are a couple of things you lose (phone key is the big loss for us), but other things you gain. The air suspension is positively luxurious after the MY. The overall quality and finish in the materials are a big improvement, but you'd expect that given the original price. Everyone that gets in says it feels more like a luxury car. The MY never had that feeling.

I'd ask Tesla to loan you a Model X for a day and try it for yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
We had the chance to swap our 2017 SR X for a LR Y for £500(or something like that) about 18 months ago based on some crazy PX prices on the X and Tesla doing their usual end of quater push.

On paper the Y is nealry as practical, more efficient, more range, has newer infotainment and would have come with a 4 warranty where as our X was already out of warranty.

We didn't swap for a number of reasons, and looking back am really glad we DIDN'T. Especially now it's confirmed there will be no more RHD Xs coming :(.

Loads of my friends now have 3/Ys, great cars, but there just something about the madness of the X that's gotten under my skin. Bare in mind the purpose of the X is essentially to be a MPV, a minivan for family duties.

I cannot quite put my finger on it, but people worried about EVs having no 'soul', well I can tell you, for a 6 seater SUV painted covered in white paint our X has more 'soul' than any of my previous cars.

I'll be a sad when we eventually have to part with it, but hopefully that's not for a long while yet :).

51221838598_8c79fea584_k_d.jpg

52942690539_7c9dfe8d35_k_d.jpg

52220332187_0bfb6e5d8f_k_d.jpg

52217347983_c489aa3ee2_k_d.jpg

X doesn't compare to Y imo.

the X and S are Tesla's halo cars, made to showcase the potential of the brand. Older ones I can imagine are ropier compared to a new Y, in terms of fit and finish, etc, and the experience I had of having a 2017 one on loan with MCU1, it felt sluggish, etc.

But - those doors, and the auto presenting ones, etc. It feels like a tour de force whereas a Y is basically an overinflated 3, and the 3 is a "mass market" car anyway, so a different proposition entirely to a S/X.

X doesn't compare to Y imo.

I agree.

We had people carriers (back in the ICE days, long before EV, from when kids were very young through to university). We used people carrier to haul 4 of us to France and beyond. We just got up, chucked everything in, and set off. No need to try to pack neatly. Loads of space for the kids to watch movies, have comfortable "captains chair" seats, spread themselves about doing colouring-in / whatever and we chucked whatever luggage we decided to take with us in the back - even things like a keyboard for some music when we got there. And we hauled the kids stuff about - big musical instruments, games kit for the kids - or the whole team - bikes ....

For that sort of activity I think the X is like the People Carrier. Whereas a Y is just a chubby hatchback. Seats in the X are a different proposition - captains chairs, rather than rear car bench-ish seats. Headroom too. The Y-Hatchback requires some effort on packing neatly.

When we hauled 7 people to south of France (i.e. in an ICE people carrier) the back bench was crowded and not very comfortable. But for short journey's 7-up was fine. Used that a lot for ferrying kids around, and our kids borrowed it when at Uni to ferry their mates to "venues" and so on. For anyone with a family with 2 or 3 kids an X would fulfil all those scenarios

Suspension on X will be much more comfortable than the Y - its very noticeable on an all-day journey how much better condition we all arrive with decent suspension (although the enforced 20 minute recharging stretch-legs / pee break every 2 - 3 hours helps too)

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot and Durzel