Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 new in box Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
friend bought a new Wall Charger in 2020. they cancelled their Tesla order and went w/ a BMW instead.

still in box at their house.... two questions:

1) assuming it is a gen 3, any concerns with buying an older (never used one)? (i'm thinking maybe they did component upgrades in the last 3 years or maybe not?)

2) what's a fair price? (they go for $425 new now, with warranty. i'm assuming the warranty started three years ago on this one....)

If the model number ends in -F and you plan to use it at over 24 amps, I'd be wary of bad relays. Tesla probably has a list of serial numbers, but at least some of the -F revisions had relays of dubious quality that would overheat when pushed. The warranty is four years, and the bad relays qualify, but the warranty would have started at purchase AND you need the original bill of sale or whatever. Chances are very good that Tesla would cover it for a year which SHOULD be enough time for the relays to fail for you.

Reactions: oneformula@gma
Upvote 0
If the model number ends in -F and you plan to use it at over 24 amps, I'd be wary of bad relays. Tesla probably has a list of serial numbers, but at least some of the -F revisions had relays of dubious quality that would overheat when pushed. The warranty is four years, and the bad relays qualify, but the warranty would have started at purchase AND you need the original bill of sale or whatever. Chances are very good that Tesla would cover it for a year which SHOULD be enough time for the relays to fail for you.
is this for all Gen 2 or Gen 3? or both?

Upvote 0