Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Updates for MCU2/AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would update the thread I started in 2019 finally for the new year. It appears from Teslafi.com that the new 2020.8.1 update is being rolled out to MCU2/AP2 owners though we are becoming an endangered species. I have seen the release notes, but not for AP2 so I was wondering if any of you driving older vehicles have gotten the update and can share the notes. I am sure it will roll out more widely eventually, but inquiring minds want to know.

Well, thats something, thank you! 2020.4.1 broke my ability to use voice commands which could be a significant problem as Massachusetts implemented its new hands free law. I was hoping that 2020.8.1 would fix voice commands. I suspect there are some hidden autopilot improvements as well, but who knows.

I don't think AP improved at all, and I suspect I will not see many more AP improvements until I get HW3 and it's clear that Tesla is also doing a large code restructuring that is holding up progress. I wouldn't be surprised if we take a step back before we move forward with the next few releases. Well, that's part of what's "fun" being on the FSD bleeding-edge - seeing the iterations!

I fear you are correct about the steps backward on AP, though the last two mornings AP made it around the windy part of Goddard Avenue near the Park School in Brookline without having to take over. Usually AP tries to crash me into the large puddingstone boulders on the right of the road. So maybe its learning. I am not keen on spending another 2500 on an upgrade that will only yield modest improvements in performance however. It looks like the updates for AP 2.0 have stalled according to Teslafi.com. I suspect there will be another version before the rest of us see it. I just want to be able to make hands free calls again.

I installed 2020.12.5 over the weekend. The only feature it added was information on broken superchargers, and bug fixes. So, do we think this is going to be it as far as functionality goes? I was hoping that we might get some additional visualizations in this update.

As a owner of a 17’ S75D AP2.0 MCU1, I have decided to not upgrade to this. I have 2020.8.x that is working fantastically and has finally made my web browser, voice commands more reliable and user interface work nearly perfectly.

With a car that charges to 235 miles at nearly 50K with no battery upgrade or possible unlock option, I think I will enjoy it for what it is. With EAP and AP 2.0 and finally the elimination and repair of numerous software bugs, I am looking to the future and probably going to skip software upgrades that add nearly no features but risk life reduction of my MCU chip.

I am grateful for the MCU2 support for older vehicles as well as HW3 compatibility even if my cameras only support black and white.

Nonetheless, unless there is a failure out of warranty, I won’t make the steep move to MCU2/FSD without a discount or offer.

That money would be much better served on a future S I think down the road with faster charging, no supercharging nerf, nearly double the range and enhanced performance.

Reactions: outdoors
I think a lot of owners in our situation would agree with you. In my case 2020.8 did not resolve a problem I was having with making voice command based phone calls, which is a big issue in Massachusetts which now has a handsfree law with significant fines. This was resolved completely with 2020.12. I am still hoping that EAP will improve enough to deal with some common road issues, at least on the routes I take frequently. Most of the time EAP fails to make it around a windy turn on my route to work (I try it every day just for fun, every once in a while it works so I don't have to completely take over but mainly not), and it still tries to kill me when taking off ramps with no obvious slow down from Route 128 when using Navigate on Autopilot. I also have no trust in auto park, a failed feature as far as I am concerned. I don't think we are getting much new on our vehicles, but it would be nice for Tesla to refine the features that we do have so they work well.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and TSLC
So just installed 2020.16.2.1. the only thing the release notes mention are an improved toy box interface (thank goodness, what an incredible relief to see an improvement on something so critical) and better information on superchargers. To me this increases the likelihood that we will see no new driving and navigation interface features for AP2.0 unless we are able to upgrade to HW3. I am not sure at this point if the juice will be worth the squeeze. For me it is too early to tell if there were any tweaks for autopilot, though I did make it around the deadly curve on Goddard Avenue in Brookline without crashing into the rocks on the left. I need to see this happen a few more times to be convinced of an actual improvement.
Curious what others opinion is on this: are we done with new driving and interface features?