Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.32.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a proper listen today after I did another 2250km road trip last 3 days. I listen to a lot of music.

The soundstage has definetely changed.
For one, there isnt that much difference between immersive sound on/off anymore and the effect is more subtle. I should know because my left immersive sound speaker has been ratteling on certain notes for a while and I cant even get it to rattle anymore.

Interestingly now theres only OFF - LOW -STANDARD on the model 3 when my model 3 performance used to have OFF STANDARD HIGH.

With the old system the soundstage was noticeably wider but it felt very forced and the stereoeffect was applied to the whole signal as well as this annoying reverb which made the bass sound very smeary. However, with the immersive sound mode off it sounded like the sound was overly mono coming from the centre speaker. So that was crap too.

With the new system the bass is now centered and non smeared. The widening effect is much more subtle and they did something to move the cymbals/highend from the door speakers to the middle speakers which has now got the effect that the higher percussions and directional sounds (often cymbals etc) appearing to levitate in front of the windscreen, rather than coming from the door. Its a good change and capitalizes on the strenght of the system - that the soundstage is very far forward in the model 3. So this all results in this wide concert stage but I dont think switching immersive sound on or off makes that much of a difference for the new sound.

I would like to have the stage even wider as before with a HIGH setting and then keep the rest as it is....

1C4153F1-3525-48F9-9FEE-CB8D9A7638D5.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I had a proper listen today after I did another 2250km road trip last 3 days. I listen to a lot of music.

The soundstage has definetely changed.
For one, there isnt that much difference between immersive sound on/off anymore and the effect is more subtle. I should know because my left immersive sound speaker has been ratteling on certain notes for a while and I cant even get it to rattle anymore.

Interestingly now theres only OFF - LOW -STANDARD on the model 3 when my model 3 performance used to have OFF STANDARD HIGH.

With the old system the soundstage was noticeably wider but it felt very forced and the stereoeffect was applied to the whole signal as well as this annoying reverb which made the bass sound very smeary. However, with the immersive sound mode off it sounded like the sound was overly mono coming from the centre speaker. So that was crap too.

With the new system the bass is now centered and non smeared. The widening effect is much more subtle and they did something to move the cymbals/highend from the door speakers to the middle speakers which has now got the effect that the higher percussions and directional sounds (often cymbals etc) appearing to levitate in front of the windscreen, rather than coming from the door. Its a good change and capitalizes on the strenght of the system - that the soundstage is very far forward in the model 3. So this all results in this wide concert stage but I dont think switching immersive sound on or off makes that much of a difference for the new sound.

I would like to have the stage even wider as before with a HIGH setting and then keep the rest as it is....
I noticed when I first tried the immersive audio I only had off - low - standard (3 settings) and then randomly it changed to off - standard and high (5 settings). I have model 3 long range RWD. I think its a bug, you might have to reboot or enter the settings screen a couple more times to have it correctly show the 5 notches.

Reactions: Candleflame
I noticed when I first tried the immersive audio I only had off - low - standard (3 settings) and then randomly it changed to off - standard and high (5 settings). I have model 3 long range RWD. I think its a bug, you might have to reboot or enter the settings screen a couple more times to have it correctly show the 5 notches.

oh really?

edit: yeah reboot fixed it. need to have a proper listen later to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALSETJC
Same for me. Have a service appt next Friday. Anyone have a solution?
I had the same problem with my Model S Plaid. Went to the service appointment today and they fixed it. The technician did a full local software update to fix it. He said that sometimes the OTA update misses some packages. The good news is that it is a quick fix. It took about 45 minutes. Unfortunately not something you can do on your own without a service appointment.

@angelman @ALSETJC what do you have your immersive audio setting set to? Just curious. Got the download yesterday (2021 MY LR, Canada, previously on 2021.24.5) and applied it late last night. Have had zero seat time yet but looking forward to some listening.
I had it set to auto. I tried changing to off but heard no difference, I assumed it was dependent on what I was listening to. The change is that you can now have different levels(granularity) of "Immersion" between the 3 preset. Truer said I couldn't tell much difference. I thought the point of the immersive sound was to activate the speakers in the windshield support by the drivers head(premium sound only). Previously you could definitely hear this getting activated). Frankly whether they are being activated doesn't really matter, the sound does sound dramatically better to me. Far closer to a high end audio system in the way you can really "see" instruments, voices etc.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had it set to auto. I tried changing to off but heard no difference, I assumed it was dependent on what I was listening to. The change is that you can now have different levels(granularity) of "Immersion" between the 3 preset. Truer said I couldn't tell much difference. I thought the point of the immersive sound was to activate the speakers in the windshield support by the drivers head(premium sound only). Previously you could definitely hear this getting activated). Frankly whether they are being activated doesn't really matter, the sound does sound dramatically better to me. Far closer to a high end audio system in the way you can really "see" instruments, voices etc.

that was exactly what i was saying. The immersive sound feature essentially switches the top left/right speakers on to give some width but thats not what made the system better. Even when immersive sound is switched off it sounds better with the primary difference (imho) being that the higher frequencies seem now to be coming from the windshield rather than the door.

It is so odd that even with the same car, we all receive updates at different times, with different features active with different versions - so difficult to keep track of software updates lately!
And people still want to give the software team a hard time. Can't imagine how hard it is testing and validating safety on all of the different models and versions of each model. Queue the keyboard software engineer expert replies....

It is so odd that even with the same car, we all receive updates at different times, with different features active with different versions - so difficult to keep track of software updates lately!

@nilesborg this actually isn't that odd, and it happens for a good reason. Let's say Tesla had a new version ready to push out to the fleet, and they flip the switch to push it to every car they've sold all at once. Now let's say there was a significant new issue introduced in this update that wasn't caught (or was miscategorized in it's impact) during their internal testing. If essentially every Tesla out there has this version, Telsa now (a) looks really bad since news will quickly spread, and (b) is under the gun to get a fix patch rolled out ASAP. Let's say this new bug has a safety impact, or perhaps detrimental effect on the battery management system, or could cause the vehicles to randomly shut down during driving, or any number of possible serious issues.

On the other hand, what Telsa does is to roll out incrementally to random* batches of cars at a time. Let's say they deploy a new release to a 5% sample of their fleet (totally made up number, I'm not sure how they distribute it) and wait a day or two before they would push to more vehicles. If a serious issue is found in those early bird cars, Tesla can then pause/stop the rollout to the rest of the fleet and take the time to correct the issue before trying again.

When you look at it that way, it probably makes more sense.

EDIT: forgot my asterisk. I'm not sure if it's truly a random sample--likely it is some kind of representative sample of models and configurations. Given the plethora of changes Tesla makes routinely during production, there could be a lot of permutations of hardware and software in the fleet at any time.

@nilesborg this actually isn't that odd, and it happens for a good reason....

I get what you're saying, I know about releasing updates in that manner. Releasing a vetted software version xx.xx.xx... also solves that problem. I'm #1 Tesla fan along with the rest of us, just wish the updates and features they bring weren't so difficult to keep track of amongst the fleet. Whatevs I'm still happy with the ride ;)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung