Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software branch question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been on a 2023 FSD branch since the holiday update. Now that FSD 12 is on the horizon, I have a question about software versions and branches.

I noticed that some Tesla employees recently got a 2023.x release with FSD 12, and according to TeslaFi most of the 2024 software version don’t have any FSD except for 2024.2.2.1 which has FSD 11.4.9, same FSD version I already have. I have been a bit surprised I wasn’t pushed that 2024 build yet, and I’ve noticed that I haven’t been getting any updates since I got the holiday update back in December despite there being newer numerous 2023 and 2024 releases with FSD over the last couple months. Is there a reason Tesla is holding back and not pushing me an 2024 update, for example to keep me eligible for an upcoming FSD update which may be on a 2023 branch? Or is it just luck of the draw - ie I might get stuck in a 2024 branch and miss out on FSD 12 for a while or if I’m lucky and when FSD 12 is released its a version ahead of me I’m good to go.

Basically I’m just asking if there’s any logic about which version I get next, or is it just luck of the draw? Aside from the restriction hate FSD customers only get builds with FSD in them, is there any logic around which update Tesla pushes you next, or is it purely randomized?

Also, can I reject an update if I think it might disqualify me form future FSD 12 releases? Right now it’s mostly speculation, but based on the employee release it seems like FSD 12 is going to be on a 2023 branch. In that case can I reject all 2024 releases until I see a 2024 release including FSD 12?

Does the “icon size recall” mean I’m more lucky to get a 2024 update pushed to me soon whether I like it or not?

All builds have FSD, but TeslaFi and some other services don’t show that info right away. You’ll get one of the 2024.x builds eventually — our 2023 S is on 2024.2.3, but our 2023 Y is still on 2023.44.30.8. The Y does have FSD while the S does not, so that might be relevant, but it isn’t unusual for the cars to be on different builds.

I don’t know if installing a 2024 build will disqualify you from v12 initially, but if you’re concerned about it, don’t install any new builds. The recall build might (or might not) be forced on you at some point, especially if you get service, but not for a while.

All builds have FSD, but TeslaFi and some other services don’t show that info right away. You’ll get one of the 2024.x builds eventually — our 2023 S is on 2024.2.3, but our 2023 Y is still on 2023.44.30.8. The Y does have FSD while the S does not, so that might be relevant, but it isn’t unusual for the cars to be on different builds.

I don’t know if installing a 2024 build will disqualify you from v12 initially, but if you’re concerned about it, don’t install any new builds. The recall build might (or might not) be forced on you at some point, especially if you get service, but not for a while.
If I simply don't install a new build will Tesla push me another build overriding the one I'm ignoring at some point? Or do I need to install the one I'm ignoring before I could potentially get another build in the future.

Interesting that your FSD Y is on the 2023 branch. My FSD Y is as well... could be just a coincidence though...

My non-FSD MY has gotten two 2024.x releases, yet my FSD M3 is sitting on 2023.44.30.8. I've not hear anybody with active FSD getting a 2024.x version. So, I believe that FSD cars are being held back in anticipation of a V12 release on 2023.44.30.x.

V12 is currently built on the 2023.44.30 branch, so, if Tesla thinks there's a good chance of rolling out V12 to us soon, it would make sense to hold us here for the time being. This would mean that, for a while at least, Tesla will be going back to two separate release branches. The production branch will get any non-FSD upgrades soonest, while the FSD development branch will lag behind these, but will get first access to new FSD (V12!).

The really good news is that it does look like Tesla expects to push out V12 to us relatively soon. Of course, if things aren't going well, Tesla could delay us further and either continue to hold us on 2023.44.30.x or pop us up to 2024.x. Moving us forward would require them to integrate v12 with a later base build before deployment, which delays things further. So, I think we'll sit here for now.

There is a 2023.44.30.14 going out, mostly to Europe, that has the recent icon recall. Perhaps Tesla will push that out to us to further the recall while we wait for V12. Nonetheless, we could be here a while, so don't worry.

BTW, all the 2024.x releases have FSD, even if Teslafi doesn't show it yet.

Interesting, I didn't realize that all builds have FSD. TeslaFi actually has a filter for FSD vs. non-FSD builds so I always assumed they were different.

Also interesting that another FSD car is stuck on the 2023.44.x branch like I am. Maybe a good sign that FSD 12 is near.

If I simply don't install a new build will Tesla push me another build overriding the one I'm ignoring at some point? Or do I need to install the one I'm ignoring before I could potentially get another build in the future.
If you don’t install a build that has been downloaded, you’ll still get newer builds. The builds are cumulative, so you won’t miss anything.

Interesting, I didn't realize that all builds have FSD. TeslaFi actually has a filter for FSD vs. non-FSD builds so I always assumed they were different.

Also interesting that another FSD car is stuck on the 2023.44.x branch like I am. Maybe a good sign that FSD 12 is near.
Yes. All releases have FSD, and now they all have City Streets FSD. That way, you can subscribe (or purchase) FSD and use it immediately.

I just had 2023.44.30.14 pushed to my car in NA; I am part of the FSD beta group (added back when "the button" launched). Are we now back to separate "fsd beta" vs "mainline" builds? Sure seems like it, with 2024.x builds going out for others? I dunno.
I was told that all builds now have FSD but interesting that TeslaFi and “Not a Tesla App” both show FSD only being included in some builds. TeslaFi specifically shows 2023.44.30.14 as having no FSD so it likely does seem to be bad data if you have that build and you have FSD…

I was told that all builds now have FSD but interesting that TeslaFi and “Not a Tesla App” both show FSD only being included in some builds. TeslaFi specifically shows 2023.44.30.14 as having no FSD so it likely does seem to be bad data if you have that build and you have FSD…
Those tracking sites are often delayed on which version of FSD is in a release. All new software comes with some version of FSD, including city streets FSD.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that 2023.44.30.14 has FSD 11.4.9. It installed on my car today.

Reactions: Kimmi and J-a-x