Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Aftermarket wheels and TMPS questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Should be getting my M3P 2021 in the next several weeks. I'm going to go to 19x8.5 with 245/40/19s. First an explanation (which may or may not be necessary)

1) The uberturbines are cool, but I'm not head over heels in love.
2) 20" is cool, but on the sedan the 19s look almost the same
3) I need all-seasons here in NYC. I know the "no-season" mantra, but I had all seasons on a 600hp RWD car before and they suffice with plenty of grip for spirited driving on poor roads here in NYC (I don't have time for the track)
4) Bigger sidewall = less flats = more rim protection
5) 19" = less weight = faster and more range

With that out of the way, here comes the questions:

1) 2021 uses the new proprietary bluetooth TPMS, I hear they can be purchased from tesla.... link?
2) If I get new TPMS, do I need to link them a certain way?
3) If you get wheel/tire packages online, it seems nobody has the bluetooth TPMS, so is it better to buy rims/tires/TPMS separately and then pay someone to mount? (sounds like the labor will be more costly than I would like)
4) Any aftermarket wheel/tire places have the new TPMS yet?

Thanks everyone... I doubt I'm the only one with these questions and haven't found straight answers.

Hello all. Should be getting my M3P 2021 in the next several weeks. I'm going to go to 19x8.5 with 245/40/19s. First an explanation (which may or may not be necessary)

1) The uberturbines are cool, but I'm not head over heels in love.
2) 20" is cool, but on the sedan the 19s look almost the same
3) I need all-seasons here in NYC. I know the "no-season" mantra, but I had all seasons on a 600hp RWD car before and they suffice with plenty of grip for spirited driving on poor roads here in NYC (I don't have time for the track)
4) Bigger sidewall = less flats = more rim protection
5) 19" = less weight = faster and more range

With that out of the way, here comes the questions:

1) 2021 uses the new proprietary bluetooth TPMS, I hear they can be purchased from tesla.... link?
2) If I get new TPMS, do I need to link them a certain way?
3) If you get wheel/tire packages online, it seems nobody has the bluetooth TPMS, so is it better to buy rims/tires/TPMS separately and then pay someone to mount? (sounds like the labor will be more costly than I would like)
4) Any aftermarket wheel/tire places have the new TPMS yet?

Thanks everyone... I doubt I'm the only one with these questions and haven't found straight answers.

1) You have to order through Tesla Service Center or Mobile Service @ $75 a piece.
2) BLE TPMS are self learning.
3) Yes, otherwise you'll have to pay somebody to unmount, put new sensors in and rebalance, which ends up costing you even more in labor.
4) Not that we are aware of, we are constantly looking for aftermarket solutions.

Please have a look at our journal entry in regards to this topic

Take care,
Danny

I bought regular OEM sensors from eBay for like $17/piece. But they’ve been out for years. Maybe someday we’ll see the same with this Bluetooth BS. What a pain in the ass.

I also saw someone else here say that it’s not necessarily true that all the 2021s have Bluetooth. Said an SC advisor mentioned he hasn’t seen them yet. Dunno how to check w/o taking apart the car.

Replacement TPMS are expensive and no one wants your old ones unless they happen to have a 2021. Just have your tire shop pull them out of the turbines and put them in your new wheels, it's no big deal to reach in there and grab them, they probably won't even charge you for it.

Lots of great aftermarket 19" options exist from Martian, TSportline, and many others.