Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Center Console Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you do the matrix headlights? Just with Toolbox? I was speaking to someone about doing this but I haven't yet sourced the headlights, and they wanted $500 to do it - which made it a more expensive proposition than I had hoped.

I wasn't able to get the Tesla tech to change my UI/app console to 2.0 - they said it wasn't something they had access to change. They showed me on the laptop that they were using that it was a field that wans't editable (at least by them). Would be interested to know if it is indeed possible.
PM sent

Hi everyone !

I am going to buy the Center Console 2.0 from Tesla (part number 1755503-00-A) to retrofit it in my early 2020 Model 3.

I saw videos showing how to change the data module on the Center Console and it seems really easy.

But I don’t understand where we are supposed to take the data from.

Do you know where the data cable is located in the 2020 Model 3s ?
And how we can bring it through the center console to be able to plug it to the data module ?

Thanks in advance ! 🙏🏻

If you’re buying a complete console the data cable is part of the assembly. The problem is that buying a current console I would assume the integrated USB hub would not have a data port, and therefore no cable going back to the connector.

In simple terms - there are only two connectors from the console to the car - the blue CANBUS at the rear and a mini USB port on the right. I don’t know whether the latest non-data consoles have that mini USB port or not.

Sorry that’s not much help.

No, I replaced the usb hub in the console with this: https://smile.amazon.com/TPARTS-Center-Transmission-Recovery-Charging/dp/B09YQ391FD

There are a few companies that make these. The usb hubs that come built into the new center console do not support data which is needed for sentry. It basically just allows you to charge devices through the usb c connections and that's it. Replacing the hub allows you to reconnect the data cable which will then restore data functionality and allow you to record sentry again when you plug in a usb drive.
Hey, is the usb hub still working for data transfer ?

If you’re buying a complete console the data cable is part of the assembly. The problem is that buying a current console I would assume the integrated USB hub would not have a data port, and therefore no cable going back to the connector.

In simple terms - there are only two connectors from the console to the car - the blue CANBUS at the rear and a mini USB port on the right. I don’t know whether the latest non-data consoles have that mini USB port or not.

Sorry that’s not much help.
Ok that's cool. Thanks for the answer.

I did some research in the afternoon and found, like you said, that the console (1755503-00-A from 2021 Model 3s I believe) should come with the data cable unplugged from the USB Hub.

I guess that I will just buy the Abstract Ocean Data Module to be able to use sentry mode again after the retrofit.

I will try to keep you tuned early 2024 about it !

Reactions: RIchard C.
Here’s my invoice, it was $835 plus tax. Took about 3 weeks to come in. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 47
Here’s my invoice, it was $835 plus tax. Took about 3 weeks to come in. Hope that helps!
I should also add that you WILL need to swap the usb module for a data enabled one (plenty of aftermarket options discussed in this thread) in order to use sentry mode after the swap…this will require a USB-C thumb drive for sentry mode, or youll need to get a 3rd party hub. I use the JOWUA hub because it uses both usb-C ports and sits flush against the wall of the console bin.

Not sure if anyone has been able to add the usb ports in the glove box with this retrofit, I asked a while back and no one responded.

Someone wrote "MY" on it. The model Y version has a different duct on the bottom for rear passengers. Your current console's duct is plug and play i think (?) but then you can't sell the old console as easily.

Last edited:
Here's a recent photo of the 2.0 Console installed on my 2018 Model 3. The stock inductive charger pad still looks new, but I have it covered with a black silicone rubber anti-skid cover. Seems to better match the older interior.

View attachment 889070

Before I installed this used 2.0 Center Console, I tested the inductive charger to make sure it was still in working order. I was also interested to find out how much current it draws when not being used to charge a phone. My Fluke multimeter showed it, on average, uses only 0.010 amperes. Most of the time, it only draws 0.002 amperes, but every few moments, it pulses the coils to see if a phone has been placed on the charging pad. That pulse increases the current to about 0.045 amperes. This kind of current draw is not significant when driving the car any distance.

The inductive charger is powered by the same switched 12V power feed as the front and rear USB modules. So when parked, the power to these usually times out after a few minutes, unless Sentry Mode is enabled.
I am getting ready to install mine. I built a 20->26 pin harness. I noticed that the inductive charger has 3 wires, 12v, ground and LIN bus. In an earlier post I see that the pin outs show that wire but not an equal on the 20 pin side. Did you hook up something to that wire?

That wire was only populated in cars that came with the console from the factory. As I understand it wireless charging works regardless, the car just can’t send a signal to disable or enable the pad on demand, it’s always on if the car is awake. I don’t think you could practically wire it to anything on a retrofit.