Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't buy that the car doesn't have the wiring for a heated wheel.

From what I can tell, having fitted a heated wheel to my 2020 M3P (heating doesn't work), the wiring between the wheel and the car is identical, i.e. the same number and configuration of wires. It's already been established that there is a revised steering wheel controller inside the wheel (behind the bottom segment) and of course the heating element & blue connector for them, so the working theory - and the logical one - is that the required hardware/loom already exists behind the steering column.

I managed to get a Tesla service tech to show me the list of options the car had, in terms of the gateway configuration, and one of those options said, verbatim:

"Steering Wheel Heating Enabled (115): DISABLED"

So, it seems at least the car recognised that a heated steering wheel was present, but deactivated (like 2021 SR+s). It's possible this setting appears on all cars, of course.

I'm cautiously optimistic.. it really depends on how (when) Tesla offer an OTA upgrade for 2021 SR+ owners to unlock theirs, as was stated as coming back in April.

What software version are you running?

Not OEM but have the connector for heating.
Maybe I will be able to connect to the heating driver seat😳🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211012-195220_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20211012-195220_AliExpress.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 260
I fitted my heated steering wheel to my 2020 M3P this morning.

I found removing the existing steering wheel to be very tricky. I would strongly recommend anyone who attempts this try and find a way to push in the clip that secures the airbag via the two holes either side of the wheel at the same time. I tried doing one side at a time, as shown on other videos, but it wouldn’t release the bottom.

The connectors are difficult to get out too. You have to pinch both ends of them, whilst pulling, and there’s not much space to get your fingers in.

I didn’t disconnect the 12v battery when removing the airbag. I did fully power down the car though (via the screen) and waited until it was asleep - i.e. silent, and no reaction to me getting in and out of the driver seat. For anyone doing this - you need to leave a door open, and do not open any other door once the car is asleep!

The car didn’t complain or even react to unplugging the airbag or the steering wheel controls. It just stayed asleep.

The good news, as we know already, the connectors are identical. The wheel is a straight swap, and the controls work as you’d expect.

The bad news, which was expected before installing it, the car doesn’t acknowledge that the wheel has heating capability, it’s as if the option isn’t there - like on 2021 SR+ cars. I am cautiously optimistic that I’ll be able to get it switched on wherever 2021 SR+ owners are able to buy it in the app, but we’ll see.

The wheel cost me £975, which is a hell of a lot of money for basically metal scroll wheels and no cut in the material like on the old wheel, but I was willing to take a gamble.
Hi @Durzel.
Your car have the heat conector in the original wheel?
I just popped up the airbag to take a look... no connector. Pop up other connectors with no problems.
My concern is how to swap the harness and that plastic of the horn?

Attachments

• 20211014_190724.jpg
    20211014_190724.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 20211014_190733.jpg
    20211014_190733.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 120
  • 20211014_190958.jpg
    20211014_190958.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 130
Hi @Durzel.
Your car have the heat conector in the original wheel?
I just popped up the airbag to take a look... no connector. Pop up other connectors with no problems.
My concern is how to swap the harness and that plastic of the horn?
I bought a heated steering wheel from Tesla and fitted it to my 2020 M3P. The wheel works (scroll wheels, etc) but heating doesn’t, because - like 2021 SR+ cars - it is not coded to the car.

My original 2020 wheel didn’t have the blue connector at the bottom. The one you have pictured is a different connector, unfortunately, that all wheels have. The heating element connector is in addition to that.

Old wheel:

804E88CA-EA38-4596-BAB4-385B295D837D.jpeg

New (heated) wheel:

7ADA3B56-8BCE-471A-B2A4-00845F451286.jpeg

@21SR+ I’d be amazed if you didn’t have the heated wheel in your car. The Tesla tech I bought the wheel from told me that there is only 1 part code for steering wheels now. All Model 3s have the heated wheel at this point, but on SR+ it is deactivated. If you pop off the airbag (don’t have to disconnect it) you can find out for sure.

Reactions: speedyranger74
I heard this is only recently true and only partially .

While my late 2020 build which is a considered a refresh for 21 with heat pump, console and metal scroll wheels, the blue plug and associated wiring wont be there ( until recently )

With your wheel how do you suspect you will get heating? You were missing the blue plug as well correct?

I heard this is only recently true and only partially .

While my late 2020 build which is a considered a refresh for 21 with heat pump, console and metal scroll wheels, the blue plug and associated wiring wont be there ( until recently )

With your wheel how do you suspect you will get heating? You were missing the blue plug as well correct?
I need Tesla to code the option to my car, then I think it’ll work. I am hoping that when 2021 SR+ owners are given the option to pay to get it (like rear heated seats) that I’ll get that option too.

My original wheel - pictured above without the blue plug at the bottom - doesn’t have heating, because I bought my car in March 2020, well before heated steering wheels were being made and fitted to the car.

I bought the heated wheel from Tesla (bottom photo) having a 50/50 belief that it would work. I knew physically the connectors for the old and new wheels were the same, and that I could fit it and the basic stuff would work (scroll wheels, etc). I gambled that the heating would automatically work (i.e. I’d get the option to heat the wheel in the car), but lost.

I need Tesla to code the option to my car, then I think it’ll work. I am hoping that when 2021 SR+ owners are given the option to pay to get it (like rear heated seats) that I’ll get that option too.

My original wheel - pictured above without the blue plug at the bottom - doesn’t have heating, because I bought my car in March 2020, well before heated steering wheels were being made and fitted to the car.

I bought the heated wheel from Tesla (bottom photo) having a 50/50 belief that it would work. I knew physically the connectors for the old and new wheels were the same, and that I could fit it and the basic stuff would work (scroll wheels, etc). I gambled that the heating would automatically work (i.e. I’d get the option to heat the wheel in the car), but lost.
But what did you connect the blue connector to?

But what did you connect the blue connector to?
The blue connector connects internally in the wheel, from one part of the wheel to another (the heating element to the controller perhaps?). It doesn't connect to the car itself, if that makes sense. The wheel is supplied with that connector already in place, connected, as you see in the photo.

There is just one (brown) connector that connects the wheel to the car, to the left socket, and as far as I could tell it was identical between the old (non-heat) and new (heating) steering wheel.

The airbag (yellow connector) connects through the steering wheel, to the right socket.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I bought a heated steering wheel from Tesla and fitted it to my 2020 M3P. The wheel works (scroll wheels, etc) but heating doesn’t, because - like 2021 SR+ cars - it is not coded to the car.

My original 2020 wheel didn’t have the blue connector at the bottom. The one you have pictured is a different connector, unfortunately, that all wheels have. The heating element connector is in addition to that.

Old wheel:

View attachment 721539

New (heated) wheel:

View attachment 721540

@21SR+ I’d be amazed if you didn’t have the heated wheel in your car. The Tesla tech I bought the wheel from told me that there is only 1 part code for steering wheels now. All Model 3s have the heated wheel at this point, but on SR+ it is deactivated. If you pop off the airbag (don’t have to disconnect it) you can find out for sure.
Have you any photo of the left connector from the new wheel(with heating system)?
If the brown connector is the same, that mean the wires of heating wheel is going down in some how into the column of steer.

I don't have any photos of that connector unfortunately :(

But, here are some photos of the connector on an eBay auction for the same wheel (1490214-00-B is the part code): 2017-2021 Tesla Model 3 / Y OEM Black Steering Wheel with Controls 1490214-00-B | eBay

If you compare it to the photo of my old wheel (top one) it looks to me that the wire configuration going into the car is identical.

I am 99% convinced all of the hardware required for a heated steering wheel is inside the wheel itself.

• Love
Reactions: speedyranger74
I don't have any photos of that connector unfortunately :(

But, here are some photos of the connector on an eBay auction for the same wheel (1490214-00-B is the part code): 2017-2021 Tesla Model 3 / Y OEM Black Steering Wheel with Controls 1490214-00-B | eBay

If you compare it to the photo of my old wheel (top one) it looks to me that the wire configuration going into the car is identical.

I am 99% convinced all of the hardware required for a heated steering wheel is inside the wheel itself.
Yes, the wires are the same. The question is how send the command?
On side of the blue connector is going to the heat wheel and the other side... where?

Yes, the wires are the same. The question is how send the command?
On side of the blue connector is going to the heat wheel and the other side... where?
You can't send the command. You need Tesla to enable the option on the car for a heated steering wheel.

It might be possible to somehow hack the steering wheel controller module in the wheel to switch on the heating element, but it's not something I've been looking into. I want to be able to turn it off and on via the screen and app.

You can't send the command. You need Tesla to enable the option on the car for a heated steering wheel.

It might be possible to somehow hack the steering wheel controller module in the wheel to switch on the heating element, but it's not something I've been looking into. I want to be able to turn it off and on via the screen and app.
I know what you mean. I looked better and the blue connector is connected with the other big connector blue. So somewhere under dash have to be the correspondence. If near at this is the connector of driver seat... should be easy.
I don't think someone will use only the heating wheel... the seat too.
This theory until Tesla give the opportunity to pay for it.

When will arrive the harness i will take a look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-134213_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-134213_Gallery.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 152
Maybe I was mistaken and the heated steering wheel is only on the LR model 3. But we took delivery last night of our sr+ and there is nothing anywhere to turn on a heated steering wheel. Ideas?
SR+ do not have heated steering wheel enabled even if it had it. There were reports there would be an option to enable it (like the rear heated seats), but so far no news yet on that front.
Tesla to unlock Model 3 heated steering wheel through paid OTA software update soon [Update]

Reactions: talkingevs