Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model 3 Red Paint different ? [no- vehicle in question is wrapped]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a red model 3 yesterday, But today I just saw a red model Y ou X (I'm not sure which)
and the red is quite different. it did not aged well :). In fact it did not look good at all.

I have some time to change my order.

I heard that the new 2021 model 3 has some change on the red paint,

any info on that

thank you

Franco

Is it possible that what you saw on the vehicle was a vinyl wrap rather than paint ? Tesla did offer a Signature Red many years ago, but I thought it
was only applied to the Model S.
ohhh, maybe,
here is a picture, and it look a lot better on the picture that in real life.
in the picture, it feel like some part are different color but I did not saw that
I could be a paint job after an accident.

Attachments

• Strange Red Tesla.jpeg
    Strange Red Tesla.jpeg
    488.4 KB · Views: 662
ohhh, maybe,
here is a picture, and it look a lot better on the picture that in real life.
in the picture, it feel like some part are different color but I did not saw that
I could be a paint job after an accident.
That’s def not stock Tesla red. The finish is matte there, my red 3 is glossy.

Stick with the red for the 3, it looks amazing. We have a blue Y as well, but the red 3 is the jaw dropper.

I am having the same issue with the Red Multi-Coat paint on the 2021 Model 3. I have seen the Red Multi-Coat paint on the previous model 3 with the silver door handles which in my opinion is a nicer brighter red/orange color but on the new Model 3 the Red Multi-Coat paint appears to look more cranberry. According to Tesla they have not changed the Red paint on the new model 3 and it is the same Red Muilti-Coat paint on the 2017-2021 models. Some say it looks different depending on the lighting but I have never seen the older model 3 with the Red Multi-Coat paint look like cranberry/darker. I originally ordered the red paint but after seeing a new 2021 Model 3 and X in Red I went back to the white exterior. I am just wondering if Tesla changed the formula, paint manufacturer or something else as I can't see how this is the same red paint.

I have the Red Multi Coat on my 2021 model M3P and it definitely changes color with different lighting. Just the way the sun hits it, changes the color. I go from absolutely loving the color to only being able tolerate it at multiple times throughout the day. To my eyes, it changes from a deep cherry red to a cranberry type of red.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Very strange. I also just ordered a red 3 and am always on the look out for red Tesla’s in the wild to see the color. I agree with the sometimes I love it and other times I think it’s not that nice to look at. Could it possibly be an issue with the owner not caring for the paint? No regular washing or wax or other paint protection? I’ve thought of changing to white.

I’m sure dirt affects the way the color looks as with any other color. Our M3P is spotless 95% of the time. It is parked in the garage and is our third vehicle, only used for recreational use. To us, the color is dependent on lighting.
FWIW, despite the color changing, we get compliments from friends/fam on the color (red w/ white interior). So it still looks good. Just something to be aware of when picking the color.

Last edited:
I’m sure dirt affects the way the color looks as with any other color. Our M3P is spotless 95% of the time. It is parked in the garage and is our third vehicle, only used for recreational use. To us, the color is dependent on lighting.
FWIW, despite the color changing, we get compliments from friends/fam on the color (red w/ white interior). So it still looks good. Just something to be aware of when picking the color.
I’m trying to decide if I wanted red and was wondering if you’re glad you went red or wish you went a different color. Sometimes I love the way red looks (especially in the showroom) but other times it just looks drab. I’m leaning towards red, MSM, blue, or white. I know for sure I dislike black.

Hey Pizzadispenser, because it does NOT look good to me ALL of the time, I wish I had went with white. I share the same sentiment as you do. It’s my favorite color in showroom lighting or if the sun hits it just right. There are other colors that I see driving down the road that always look great to me. Just my opinion :)

Hey Pizzadispenser, because it does NOT look good to me ALL of the time, I wish I had went with white. I share the same sentiment as you do. It’s my favorite color in showroom lighting or if the sun hits it just right. There are other colors that I see driving down the road that always look great to me. Just my opinion :)
I am on the fence of ordering. In the showroom is a heart stopper. However when i see used cars driving around sometimes it looks super plastic, very cheap. Is it the matter of lighting. Do you wish you bought something else?