Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, between this afternoon when I got my vin and now, EDD tightened to 12/30-12/31. SA I spoke to today didn’t believe it shipped yet, so likely here in January. This works well for me timing wise. Would have liked the new tail lights, but otherwise getting everything I want, so can’t complain - 2022 vin, early 2022 delivery, they’re removing the FSD, and all season tires. They also reactivated the trade in if I choose to go in that direction. Yeah, I’m getting excited!

So here is the update on my situation. It ended up being the inverter that is defective and needs replacement. Not sure how long will it take to order and repair. I threw a fit that I don’t want the car any more and don’t trust it and requested it being replaced. Will see how that goes.
Sorry to learn about what happened. Not exactly the same situation but I can somewhat relate. Still waiting on the status of my delivery. Allegedly a broken windshield but so far no further updates. Called many times. No more details. No info. Went in person to SC where the car is and was told no info. Good times…

Interesting, between this afternoon when I got my vin and now, EDD tightened to 12/30-12/31. SA I spoke to today didn’t believe it shipped yet, so likely here in January. This works well for me timing wise. Would have liked the new tail lights, but otherwise getting everything I want, so can’t complain - 2022 vin, early 2022 delivery, they’re removing the FSD, and all season tires. They also reactivated the trade in if I choose to go in that direction. Yeah, I’m getting excited!
It seems then some of us on the east coast may see our window go to Jan as there is no way they can get a car to Mid-Atlantic before 12/31 if we don't have a VIN.

So here is the update on my situation. It ended up being the inverter that is defective and needs replacement. Not sure how long will it take to order and repair. I threw a fit that I don’t want the car any more and don’t trust it and requested it being replaced. Will see how that goes.
Sorry to hear that. Definitely ask for a new one if possible.

My black creamsicle is home tonight! Picked up my new Model S at the Schaumburg location. Arrived at 3:30pm. I began my inspection with the tires and noticed Pirelli P Zero High Performance Summer Tires. This was after I had checked with the delivery manager the day before. He checked with someone in the shop who supposedly confirmed that my car had A/S tires installed on it, A different manager was in today. He apologized and said they would take care of it. After about 30 minutes, they found that they had a set of Continental A/S tires in stock. They needed an hour to swap out the tires. They gave me a loaner so my son and I could go shopping while they fixed the problem. Came back about 5:30pm and they were just finishing up. I then paid for the car and finished up a few other details. BTW It only had a 60% charge when they gave it to us.

I drove about 60 miles back to Rockford mostly on Highway 90 which is a Tollway in very good shape. It was dark and windy. My night vision is not the best. We did not have cruise control correctly set up (Autopilot) so that was not good. I am used to setting a speed and cruising. You can't change that setting while the car is moving. (Must be in Park.) So I pulled over at an Oasis (food/gas place on the tollway) and let my son fix the Autopilot setting. It worked great after that. There are so many options to be set in this thing. When I arrived home we had a 35% charge. I plugged in my new Wall Connector and started going through the menus. Connected it to our home WiFi. I just downloaded and installed the new 2021.44.5 version.

Now I'm going to let it charge up to 80% and play more tomorrow.

Initial thoughts. The acceleration in "Insane" mode is crazy fast. We did a rolling 20mph to 65mph... Wow!

The ride is very smooth and quiet. Love it so far. Things to do tomorrow: Homelink settings for my 3 garage doors, tweak the audio to my liking, learn as much as I can in a day, and book a ceramic coating appointment.

I believe you may very well get your car during the delivery window. I'm in NJ too, and I spoke to Tesla yesterday (Dec 16) to schedule delivery. The car was scheduled to leave the Fremont factory today (Fri, Dec 17), and arrive one week later at the Springfield NJ location on Fri, Dec 24. I'm scheduled to pick up the car on Monday, Dec 27.

Tesla said that, once a delivery date is scheduled, these dates are very reliable. Of course, at this time of year, potential inclement weather can have an impact.
Also, if you can't accept delivery within 3 days of your vehicle being ready for pickup, Tesla will automatically reassign the VIN to someone else, and you will get a new VIN assigned when another vehicle with your selected configuration is available.

Finally, if you don't have a delivery date scheduled yet, I would call Tesla directly and schedule pickup asap. That's what I did, and Tesla scheduled my pickup over the phone. They said that once your VIN is assigned, you can schedule pickup with them immediately, over the phone, and don't have to wait for their text message to schedule pickup.

Good luck! Fingers crossed!

This is a (insert swear word) joke.
Those who said “you’ll get a vin soon”… yeah idk about that boss.
I’m definitely thinking about cancelling my order, by March 1st if I don’t get my car by then. I ordered in February.. this is ridiculous at best!
Very much thinking about getting a Plaid instead. Gosh what a terrible way to start my morning.

Attachments

• 2EDDD35A-6C06-4AFF-8989-6034124868D1.png
    2EDDD35A-6C06-4AFF-8989-6034124868D1.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Went to my delivery center yesterday and spoke with their sales team. They were fairly confident that I will be receiving my model S by the end of the year. The guy made a funny comment something like for you to get the car this year you'll need to get a VIN by Friday. So tomorrow?? Oh is it Thursday, yes tomorrow. So today is the day otherwise he said potentially early next week but otherwise I'd be looking into January. So today is the day for VIN hopefully! My EDD hasn't changed so I'm hopeful! Really encouraging to see another red/cream get a VIN on Thursday in NJ. They must have had a batch run recently

Interesting that some folks are seeing updates on their new cars straight away, same-day.
My son (who owns a Tesla Model YP) said that I should just wait and the update will arrive when it is my turn. I don't always follow advise from others. I loaded my phone app and found where I could download and install it immediately. I did that while my car was charging. It takes about 50 minutes and the update progress shows on the app. Maybe I was already in the queue for the automatic update.

The app also shows that I have an option called "Premium Connectivity" They must include a year for free because the package expires in a year from my pickup date. The cost is $9.99 a month when that first year expires.

This is a (insert swear word) joke.
Those who said “you’ll get a vin soon”… yeah idk about that boss.
I’m definitely thinking about cancelling my order, by March 1st if I don’t get my car by then. I ordered in February.. this is ridiculous at best!
Very much thinking about getting a Plaid instead. Gosh what a terrible way to start my morning.
That sucks. I also ordered July 12th white on white and edd for me is March-April. I think the ones that ordered white interior is fine be delayed due to supply issues

It seems then some of us on the east coast may see our window go to Jan as there is no way they can get a car to Mid-Atlantic before 12/31 if we don't have a VIN.
full agreement. even if the car made it to the dealership on the 30th (which I truly doubt) I will still be away. then we have NYE and then a Sunday, so I can't pick up before January 3 - if the car even made it there, and if they inspected.
also interesting, everything I have for Tesla now, indicates a 2022, so that's kinda cool. my app and tesla account and mvpa all say 2022 if i recall correctly.
I'd like the new tail lights, if they're going to be a real thing, but at the same time, I was fine with these, so that's fine.
2022 vin? check. 2022 delivery (very minor hope of some tax legistature?) - box checked. all season tires? they claim yes, so that box is checked as well.
I'm daring to be optimistic and hopeful! somebody, stop me!

Reactions: Jabbahop
I called Tesla yesterday since my EDD is Dec24th to 31st and I did not receive any VIN. The Tesla guy on the phone mentioned that I might be a backup in case someone from my area with similar config is assigned a VIN. Sigh. Looks like I’m not getting my Tesla this year.

yep - I am a MF455 and was born mid Nov according to the delivery person.
that's the part that confuses me. did they switch over on 11/1/21, 11/15/21, was your car in production in say, october and then completed in november? not sure these are really relevant or important, but that's what goes through what passes for my mind.
I imagine they can install a VIN right up until the installation of the windshield (and frankly, could remove a windshield and install then, but that would be silly) - i originally thought the VIN was attached to the frame when production though the line started, but I frankly have no idea, and can imagine a car getting up to the windshield part without a VIN and using some other sort of tracking, though to me assigning a VIN at least to the car makes sense.

Reactions: chrisdh79